Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I made a very tasty quiche just yesterday. Let's see if I can recreate it from memory:

5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Blend these together until smooth (I used a handblender). Season with salt, pepper, thyme, and a squirt (maybe 1 tsp?) of dijon mustard.

In olive oil or oil of your choice, saute 1 small onion, diced, until tender. Add a large bag of baby spinach and cook until wilted. Let cool. Chop this mixture (if desired).

Layer in baked pie crust (I am assuming you don't need the recipe for the crust, but if you do, holler): shredded cheddar cheese, spinach mixture, more cheese, egg mixture. Top with more cheese. Bake at 350° until a knife slid into the quiche's center comes out clean, and top is golden brown.

Enjoy!
~Nick

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I got this recipe from Cathe here on the board. I've changed it up before using more eggs, soymilk instead of yogurt, different cheeses, etc... so you don't have to follow it exactly.

CATHE'S RECIPE:

Yogurt-Spinach Quiche
This quiche is my children's favorite. The yogurt makes this dish lighter than traditional quiche.

1 (8- or 9-inch) Basic Pie Crust (page xxx), partially prebaked
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, minced
2 cups minced spinach (fresh or frozen)
2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc.)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare and partially prebake pie crust.
Prepare filling while crust is prebaking. Warm oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté 5 to 10 minutes until soft. Stir in spinach. Cover and steam about 3 minutes, or until spinach is wilted. Remove cover and cook a minute or two to let water evaporate. In mixing bowl, beat eggs, yogurt, sea salt, and nutmeg together. Fold in cooked spinach and cheeses. Pour into prepared crust. Bake 40 minutes, or until center is set. Wait 10 minutes before slicing.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
This is adapted from "The Compassionate Cook" (PETA)

Vegan Quiche

1 pie crust (use your favorite recipe)

1 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 C chopped broccoli
1 C sliced mushrooms
1 lb firm tofu, patted dry
pinch of nutmeg (I like to grate fresh)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 bunch fresh basil, chopped (or 1 T dry) - you can sub in other fresh herbs, as you like.
1/2 tsp salt
pepper, to taste
1/2 C soy milk

Heat your oven to 425F.

Place the rolled out pie crust in a quiche pan or pie plate and cook for 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet and saute the vegetables until cooked & a bit golden.

In your food processor, combine tofu, nutmeg, turmeric, basil, salt and milk until very smooth. Stir cooked vegetables into tofu mixture; season to taste with pepper.

Pour batter into the baked pie crust and bake for another 30 minutes or so, until a knife inserted comes out clean.

I've also added cooked gimme lean sausage or veggie bakon bits to this, and it is great! It's definitely one of those recipes that allows you to just use what you have on hand.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Here's a couple of my other quiches - one vegan and one not:

Potato-Kale Quiche
This is my husband's favorite quiche. It's hearty and filling, yet doesn't weigh you down. If you don't have kale, try spinach, chard or other dark green leafy vegetable.

1 recipe Basic Pie Crust (page xxx) or prepared (9- or 10-inch) deep-dish crust, partially prebaked
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cups peeled, diced potatoes (about 3 medium)
2 packed cups chopped kale
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk (dairy or nondairy)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (4 ounces)

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Prepare pie crust and place in 9- or 10-inch deep-dish pie pan. Partially prebake crust as directed on page xxx.
Prepare filling while crust is prebaking. Warm oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Sauté 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir in kale. Cover and cook another 5 minutes. Kale and potatoes should be tender but not overcooked.
Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, sea salt, pepper, and nutmeg until frothy. Place 1/2 of the cheese evenly over bottom of crust. Place potato-kale mixture over cheese. Cover with remaining cheese. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese to fill crust.
Bake at 375ºF for 40 minutes, or until center is set. Cool 10 minutes before cutting.

Makes 8 servings

Note: If you don't have deep dish pie crust, add 2 eggs and 3/4 cup milk and fill two regular size pie crusts.

Sesame-Tofu Quiche with Broccoli and Mushrooms
This quiche supplies lots of calcium and iron. The delicious nondairy filling is rich and creamy.

Sesame-Corn Crust:
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter or coconut oil, cut into small pieces
3 to 4 tablespoons cold water

Filling:
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chopped white mushrooms
2 cups chopped broccoli
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound firm tofu
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Pinch ground nutmeg

Topping:
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix cornmeal, flour, and sesame seeds together in food processor with metal blade or in a bowl. Cut in butter or coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water a tablespoon at a time until crust holds together when pressed in your hand. Roll out crust on floured board to fit a 9-inch pie pan. Arrange crust in pan and flute edges. Prick all over with fork and prebake 15 minutes.
While crust is baking, heat oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, and ginger. Cover and steam 5 to 10 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Remove from heat.
In food processor or blender, puree tofu, nutritional yeast flakes, tahini, soy sauce, and nutmeg until smooth. Gently fold together broccoli mixture and tofu mixture. (I just do it in the skillet instead of dirtying another dish.) Place filling in prebaked crust. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 30 minutes, or until edges are golden.

Makes 8 servings

1 - 8 of 8 Posts