·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi all,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a couple questions for a friend.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>First, am I understanding correctly that home birth is illegal in Nebraska?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Second, does anyone have any recommendations for any providers (especially midwives) in the Lincoln area? Are there particular hospitals that have better amenities (i.e. labor tubs/water birth/etc)?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you in advance!</p>
<p>Ky</p>
<p> </p>
<p>eta: If anyone has any suggestions about doulas, pediatricians, childbirth ed, LLL/mama groups, etc, I'd love to hear those too!</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<p>I am in the same boat as your friend I have heard and am still looking into  it but I think to have a water birth in a hospital it has to be at Saint E. I have heard good things about Heart and Hands they have both Midwives and Reg obgyns.  And as for it being illegal to have a midwife at a home birth even though I have heard that they are midwives who will do this. I don't know any but I have heard. I go to a LLL meeting every Friday from 1030 to 1130 they have all the info on the LLL website. I hope this helps</p>
<p> </p>
<p>J</p>

·
Registered
4 Posts
<p>i am from Omaha but have delivered 2 children (and 37 weeks pregnant with the third to be delivered) in Lincoln with a midwife. I have used Joann Bronson, but she is retiring in May or June. She is FABULOUS and I like one of her partners, Jill Dolberg, but the other partner is always late and it drives me batty! My friend used Heart and Hands Midwives and loved them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have been extremely happy with my birth experiences in St. Elizabeth's. I love that they will basically let you labor however you want with just doppler monitoring from time to time. I have not had a water birth there but plan to this time. Last time I would have but my midwife was sick and Jill was 38 weeks pregnant and could not reach into the tub safely to deliver me.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think that St. Elizabeth's is a great place to give birth. I work in a hospital in Omaha and their practices are 10X more strict than St. E's.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It is not illegal to have a homebirth here, just to have one attended by a midwife, which basically makes the whole thing illegal unless you deliver the baby yourself. I won't do it but many have. Or they have found underground mw's to do it.</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>I used Joann as a Midwife and loved her, but as I went in today for my annual she let me know that next Thursday is her last day as she is retiring. She stated that there will be a new midwife taking her position that is from Lincoln, worked in Wisconsin as a midwife, is at One World in Omaha, then will be in their office now. I'd met with Jill a few times and liked her, and have heard that Jill is similar to Joann as Jill trained under Joann (make sense?).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I also used Marsha Dvorak as a doula. My husband and I attended her childbirth education classes prior to delivery. They are in her home, and very comfortable, one on one, and she wants you to be prepared and safe for delivery. (I have lots of Early CHildhood and pregnancy care and education, but it was great for my husband to learn all it, and for us to learn techniques as I wanted a natural childbirth). We both learned techniques for comfortable labor, and ways that my husband could keep me relaxed also. My labor ended up quick but it very helpful to have Marsha there for encouragement and some assistance afterwards. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Happy pregnancy to you and hope all is well!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts