Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure this is the correct place for my post so feel free to move it.

I'm looking for a book that will help me understand my daughter a bit more. At least I think I am. I checked out The Explosive Child and one page into it realized that wasn't her at all. I don't know if I need a book or to just be more patient with her.

My daughter is 18m and is a really sweet and loving girl. Since birth she's been a mama's girl and is the type that always wants to be held or cuddled. Obviously this isn't bad but I admit I've described her as "needy" or "clingy" more than once. She's the type that if she falls on her bottom she immediately starts crying or if someone gently bumps into her it's the end of the world. If I have to move her off my lap to get up and do something she throws a fit, etc.

She's a very sensitive soul and oh so unlike me. I'm just looking for a book that will explain this type of personality to me a bit more and help me to be more understanding and caring of her needs.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Suggestions:

The Highly Sensitive Child by Elaine Aron

The Emotional Life of the Toddler by Alicia Lieberman -- There's a good chapter on sensitive/fearful children.

Raising Your Spirited Child might be OK too, though to me she sounds more sensitive than spirited (but she's only 18 months).

Books on Temperament might help too:
Understanding Your Child's Temperament by William Carey
Nurture by Nature (sorry, forget the authors)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think "Raising Your Spirited Child" by M. Kurchinka has some great information on the sensitive child...I got so much out of that book.
Also, you only briefly mentioned patience...but try checking out "Buddhism for Mothers" (sorry, don't know the author off the top of my head)...it is great in that respect!
Also, "Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves" by N. Aldort has some great pointers for trying to see things from a child's pov...
Can't think of any others off the top of my head, but if I do, I'll post back!
Good luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.