Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a puppy to add to our family. Then our family will be complete

I would go to a shelter, but I want a really young puppy, like 8-10 weeks old, and the puppies I've seen are all older. I can't afford to get a puppy from a breeder. So, I was wondering if anyone's dog is expecting puppies, or if anyone knows where/how I could get a young puppy. I like mutts and breeds that grow up to be at least 30lbs, but no bigger than a Lab or Golden Retriever (a Lab or Lab mix would be ideal). I would be so happy to give a puppy a good home. I'm a SAHM so I have a lot of time for playing and training. I LOVE dogs, and would treat him/her as member of our family.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Isn't that too young for the puppy to be away from it's mother?
I would think if you really want one that young, your best bet would be to rescue one that has lost it's mother. Otherwise, I think they are still needing mama at that age.

·
Registered
265 Posts
between eight and twelve weeks is the "norm". My family has been raising Labs for over 10 years - the mother naturally begins weaning sometime after six weeks (this is when 'solid' food is introduced, in nature the mother will begin regurgitating her predigested food for the pups, though most domesticated dogs have lost this instinct.) MD or PA (not quite sure with one) law allows 6 weeks which i feel is too young and only helps 'puppy' mills churn-out more dogs in less time ... but any way.

by eight weeks the mother is generally disintrested in the pups and the pups are VERY ready to get in with a pack and really, REALLY want human interaction. so it's a good time for getting acclimated to living with humans and proper training.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthy_Baby View Post
between eight and twelve weeks is the "norm". My family has been raising Labs for over 10 years - the mother naturally begins weaning sometime after six weeks (this is when 'solid' food is introduced, in nature the mother will begin regurgitating her predigested food for the pups, though most domesticated dogs have lost this instinct.) MD or PA (not quite sure with one) law allows 6 weeks which i feel is too young and only helps 'puppy' mills churn-out more dogs in less time ... but any way.

by eight weeks the mother is generally disintrested in the pups and the pups are VERY ready to get in with a pack and really, REALLY want human interaction. so it's a good time for getting acclimated to living with humans and proper training.
Yes, that's why I want one so young. I want my famliy to be the puppy's pack, right from the start. I want the puppy to be a little smaller than my kids at first, and I want the puppy and my children to get used to each other while thy're all very young. I feel this is the best way to raise a dog with a good, child-friendly dispostion (and kids that love and respect animals). I always thought 8-10 weeks is the earliest time that's safe for pup and mama, to take the puppy away. I would never want to take the puppy before it was ready, that would break my heart. I would only take a puppy younger than 8 weeks if it's mama wasn't able to take care of it, for whatever reason. I'm glad to hear you say that 8-12 weeks is the norm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts