Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was about a child who died in a car accident, and his death could have been prevented with a five-point harness. It was set to Nickelback's song Far Away. My little brother and his wife are currently looking for a convertible carseat for their son, and I'm trying to convince them that it's worth the extra money to get the best carseat they can. This video was so beautifully done, I think it would really affect them. Does anyone know the video I'm talking about? I thought I saw a link to it here once.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You're probably thinking of the Kyle David ****** video, but could you be more specific about the age of your nephew? If they're just looking into a convertible now, I'm guessing he's a baby? Which means that a forward facing 5-point harness, which is what that video advocates, is absolutely NOT appropriate for their child, as he should be in a rear facing convertible for several years to come.

Also, there is absolutely no correlation between 'spending extra money' and 'getting the best seat they can'. There are more expensive seats, but many times a much less expensive product is a much safer and better one depending on the specific scenario.

So...age and size of the child, and the vehicle he'll be riding in would be great information, if you'd like some help pointing them in the right direction
orngtongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMtm View Post

It was about a child who died in a car accident, and his death could have been prevented with a five-point harness. It was set to Nickelback's song Far Away. My little brother and his wife are currently looking for a convertible carseat for their son, and I'm trying to convince them that it's worth the extra money to get the best carseat they can. This video was so beautifully done, I think it would really affect them. Does anyone know the video I'm talking about? I thought I saw a link to it here once.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their baby is 6 months old and he weighs 20 lbs, so they will need to switch him once he hits 22 lbs. They already know that they will need to get a convertible so that he can stay rear-facing for quite a ahile yet. My brother has mentioned some cosco ones he's seen that run about $50, but I have concerns over the safety of those ones. My brother is still in college, and he and his wife each work part-time jobs to make ends meet, but they are very tight on money, so money is a big concern for them.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The Cosco Scenera. I'd recommend, specifically, the Cosco Scenera 40RF, which is a Target exclusive and sells for fifty dollars. They are a perfectly safe option, and priced very well. Because the baby is all ready 20 lbs at 6 months, I would suggest ONLY seats that can rear face to at least 40 lbs.

The Cosco Scenera is a very cost-efficient product that will install well in most vehicles, and that should give them a few years to save up for a larger convertible, which the baby may very well need to continue to stay rear facing for the next few years if he continues on his current growth plan.

If they are able, at this juncture, to spend more money, they could consider the Evenflo Triumph 65 (not the Triumph Advance) and the Graco My Ride 65, both of which rear face to 40 lbs, and will last longer than the Scenera. Target currently has the My Ride priced down to 120 dollars, but, that's quite a leap from 50. If they can't afford it right now, it's not a big deal. The Scenera 40RF will keep the baby safe for several more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMtm View Post

Their baby is 6 months old and he weighs 20 lbs, so they will need to switch him once he hits 22 lbs. They already know that they will need to get a convertible so that he can stay rear-facing for quite a ahile yet. My brother has mentioned some cosco ones he's seen that run about $50, but I have concerns over the safety of those ones. My brother is still in college, and he and his wife each work part-time jobs to make ends meet, but they are very tight on money, so money is a big concern for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.