Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Ok so I know the question of AP/delayed vax-friendly peds in the west suburbs has come up before, and I'm just not satisfied with the results so far. Maybe it's just hard to switch pediatricians after you feel you've had the best pediatrician a mother could ask for (Dr. Minkus) for seven years. We recently moved to the Riverside/Brookfield area and I just can't be driving to Lincolnwood/Skokie anymore for ped visits, especially for urgent illnesses. I've seen Locke and Uchitelle brought up several times, and while i know there are some who really like them, I've personally tried them and didn't feel any great warmth emanating from either of them. We also just tried Dr. Mercola in River Forest, and I didn't find him particularly warm and he clearly doesn't really agree with delayed vaccination.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know some mothers feel the pediatrician is there to address your child's issues first and foremost, and anything else you should just smile and nod and move on, but i guess that's not enough for me. I don't want someone who's just like, hey, it's your kid, do whatever you want. I want someone who embraces natural choices, thinks extended breastfeeding is the best thing you can do for your child, believes where everyone sleeps best is the best place to sleep, supports delayed vaccination, believes there is no medical reason for circumcision....someone who READS research and THINKS and doesn't just go with what all the other doctors seem to think is best. Also of course someone who spends time talking to my kids and doesn't treat visits like a business transaction. We need some warm and fuzzy, too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I feel like the same doctors keep getting recommended (ie, Locke and Uchitelle) and that's great for those who like them, but aren't there others? Are my standards just way too high? Is there some jewel of a pediatrician out this way SOMEWHERE that just isn't getting mentioned? Should i not expect to adore my kids' doctor? It's hard to go from adoration to just, well, "eh."</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please reply if you have suggestions!</p>

·
Registered
47 Posts
<p>Wish I had an answer. I am in the same position. I LOVED Dr. Kyle but he is no longer at the practice. I just went to see Dr. Uchitelle and left feeling blah. I have two children. Both seem to have food allergies. This appointment was for DD 6 month check up but also for really bad Eczema. We told her we wanted to delay VAX and she told us her opinion and that she likes Vax.</p>
<p>I'm right there with you. Maybe I take things too personal. I just want someone to take me serious and support me or at least agree to disagree without making me feel like I'm dumb.</p>

·
Registered
47 Posts
<p>Does any one see: Dr. Fred Ettner in Evanston or anyone in Homefirst? I've heard so far great things about Dr. Ettner but horrible things about the staff.</p>

·
Registered
852 Posts
<p>How about Dr. Shattauer?</p>
<p><a href="http://www.thegreenmedicalpractice.com/about" target="_blank">http://www.thegreenmedicalpractice.com/about</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I, personally, love drs. locke and uchitelle but I am not looking for parenting advice from my peds and so don't worry about the AP side. We don't discuss parenting because I'm sure we wouldn't agree! LOL</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They've always respected my choices, even when they don't agree with them and have a belief in non-western complimentary medicine. Dr. U has sent us to the chinese herbalist/accupuncturist that she has used with her own kids.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When my daughter needed emergency surgery for a broken arm- Dr. U even gave me her personal number.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>BUT-- not everyone is the right fit for everyone!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts