Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm moving to Philadelphia (center city area) next week and I'm 29 weeks pregnant with my first child. I'm looking for advice on hospitals and doulas. I'd prefer to give birth in a hospital, but I would like a fairly liberal hospital, as far as eating/drinking/mobility/doula assistance etc...

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Where exactly are you located?

·
Registered
148 Posts
In Center City, Pennsylvania Hospital (aka Pennsy) at 8th and Spruce is your best bet - they are actually in the process of applying for Baby Friendly Hospital status. I had a natural delivery there and know many other who have also. If you know what you want, and are willing to communicate your needs, you'll have the birth you want -- assuming that there is no medical issue. Since you are late in your pregnancy, call the Penn Midwives immediately ( http://www.pennmedicine.org/wagform/MainPage.aspx?config=provider&P=LP&ID=3181 ). For doula recs and to read a broad range of experiences, try the Pennsymoms google group. The moms there represent a wide range of viewpoints, and you'll be able to get a feel for the range of experiences that most align with your goals.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'd agree with the poster above. It's probably your best bet considering that you want to be in a hospital in the city. Not perfect, by any means, but if you can remain perfectly healthy even if you go a week or two past your due date, you have a good chance of using the birth suites/low intervention route at Pennsy. The issue many of my clients there have had is just not making it to labor, meaning induction is recommended for various reasons if anything 'comes up'. Non stress tests and biophysical profiles are often a compromise, and then you have to go in, say, twice a week, and pass those to avoid being 'risked out' of the low intervention route they offer there. I think some of the midwives are much more conservative than others, so this could literally depend on who you get evaluating things with you at your end of pregnancy appts, yk? It never hurts to ask for another opinion either, if one thing is being recommended and you're not convinced, etc. But I've had a few really great experiences there in the birthing suites with those who've made it that far. Pamela, is one midwife I remember being particularly supportive and encouraging, and I've heard other moms and doulas say positive things about her. Not that you can choose who you get in labor, but if you have a say for an initial consult or any other possibility, she might be a nice one to meet with for some guidance. Definitely have a doula, be informed and know your options, etc.

I could share more, but that's what comes to mind right away :) It must be daunting moving to a new place right before having a baby! Feel free to contact me for further questions...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Another vote for Pennsylvania Hospital. I have many friends who gave birth there that were very happy with their experiences (including one emergency birth). I've also heard great things about their lactation assistance program as well. Helpful without being pushy.

Welcome to Center City. I work right around the corner from you. If you need any advice on the city, places to go, etc. feel free to PM me. I'm a Philly girl born and raised (thought I now live in NJ).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for replying!

I'll most likely choose Pennsylvania Hospital, although my interactions with the midwife/OB service have not been very good yet. I'm hopeful that face to face will be different!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.