Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I am looking to chat with other Chicago area Moms. City and Suburb areas included. Its always good to talk to moms who live in the same area and we can help each other out with different things.

So introduce yourself and tell us about your family...

I'll start,

I am Amy SAHM to DD (5/24/02) and we live west of the city about 20 miles in the western suburbs. I am a LLL and Mothering fan and MDC boards member. I am lookign forward to talking to other moms

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi nancy!

Sorry the game got rained out on Saturday. We are Cubs fans here.
We are in Lombard but spent many days in your area several years ago before becoming subanites.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Carrie!

You not far at all! We sometimes bike the prairie path out that way and ride the great western trail back. Do you know 7 gables park in Wheaton?

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wendy: Scary for you or the dcfs?
j/k

I bet you can tell us stories. How does it affect you being a parent? Has it changed how you handle your clients at all?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I could tell a ton. Some sad, some frustrating. A few good. Let's see. Being a parent has really affected how I handle my clients. I now know that "having a dirty house" is pretty easy with 6 kids as I have one with only two! :LOL But I'm more sympathetic because I know how hard it is to be sleep deprived and not make sound judgements. How hard it is to just do some of the basic things in life when you are just soooo stressed. And put on top of that poverty, no support from your family and 16 years old!... The main thing that bugs me is that we are not supposed to care if a family has immunized. If a family does not immunize, there is nothing we can do about it. Yet, we are supposed to ask the families for their children's shot record. Every time I'm ordered to do it, I mention how it is there right not to immunize so why do we care. That doesn't go over very well.
: Very frustrating.

How does it affect my parenting...I come home and love on my children soooo much. And I will not do daycare. Too many scary things happen there.
:

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on- I cannot do day care either. Some of the "better' day cares in the area I have heard nightmare stories.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hi,

I'm Linda....I'm 34 and my DS Evan is 15 months old. We live in Hoffman Estates but are moving to West Dundee in 2 weeks. I'm currently working part time but will be finished with my job in about a month and will be staying home after that. I'd love to find some friends in our area who won't be freaked out that Evan is still nursing and probably will be for quite a while.

We cloth diaper and cosleep and we will not spank, and I am a compulsive recycler...other than that I'm not sure I'm very crunchy (but I'm getting better, LOL !). I am definitely not hip, not in the least. I am oblivious to most trends. We just do our own thing. I guess you could say we are former dinkys who are letting our wonderful child change our lives. And he's doing a fantastic job of it

Linda

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Linda,
You think people think its weird you boy nurses now- try it with a 26 mo old.

I have gotten quite a few eyebrow raises in my time. Just think, you child has a leg above them. You can find a lot of company at LLL meetings.

We are also former DINKS and I stay home. We are a little off the beaten path with our parenting style as well. DD eats everything we eat (tofu, sushi, tandoori pizza, thai food) that most toddlers let alone their parents would never eat. We watch our daughter not the calendar or the clock to decide when its time for something. We are more to the left than most of our Dupage county neighbors...you get the idea.

Of course we met on the mothering boards so you will find most people are like yourself.

I would never say we are totally earthy crunchy (I use Pampers!) but I recycle a lot of things as well. I also stretch the life out on things.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I'm Cindy, working mom to two kids who are now 7 and 10 years old. DH stays home, not quite by choice, but its working

Had to go back and edit. I'm from the northwest side of Chicago (near the Park Ridge/Niles border

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Cindy and Molly!
:

Welcome!

More extended Bfeedrs! (and past!).

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm Kathleen - I live on the far NW side of the city (around Harlem & Foster). I have two kids - a 4 1/2 year old son and a 13 month old daughter. They are delightful (most of the time...)

We go to LLL meetings the third Tues of the month in North Park (Chicago am meeting) and the LLL enrichment meeting the first Wed of the month in Lincoln Square.

I have met several MDC moms in real life - they are all wonderful mamas. Hi Cindy!

Also, a shameless plug - I teach pre-natal yoga on Tues eve in Park Ridge, if you have any pregnant friends in the near west or NW suburbs or NW side of the city.

www.stretchyogastudio.com

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yogamama

We go to LLL meetings the third Tues of the month in North Park (Chicago am meeting) and the LLL enrichment meeting the first Wed of the month in Lincoln Square.

[/url]
What is the LLL enrichment meeting in Lincoln Square? I don't know what this is.

--Beth

1 - 20 of 109 Posts