Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I am looking to chat with other Chicago area Moms. City and Suburb areas included. Its always good to talk to moms who live in the same area and we can help each other out with different things.

So introduce yourself and tell us about your family...

I'll start,

I am Amy SAHM to DD (5/24/02) and we live west of the city about 20 miles in the western suburbs. I am a LLL and Mothering fan and MDC boards member. I am lookign forward to talking to other moms

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi nancy!

Sorry the game got rained out on Saturday. We are Cubs fans here.
We are in Lombard but spent many days in your area several years ago before becoming subanites.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Carrie!

You not far at all! We sometimes bike the prairie path out that way and ride the great western trail back. Do you know 7 gables park in Wheaton?

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wendy: Scary for you or the dcfs?
j/k

I bet you can tell us stories. How does it affect you being a parent? Has it changed how you handle your clients at all?

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right on- I cannot do day care either. Some of the "better' day cares in the area I have heard nightmare stories.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Linda,
You think people think its weird you boy nurses now- try it with a 26 mo old.

I have gotten quite a few eyebrow raises in my time. Just think, you child has a leg above them. You can find a lot of company at LLL meetings.

We are also former DINKS and I stay home. We are a little off the beaten path with our parenting style as well. DD eats everything we eat (tofu, sushi, tandoori pizza, thai food) that most toddlers let alone their parents would never eat. We watch our daughter not the calendar or the clock to decide when its time for something. We are more to the left than most of our Dupage county neighbors...you get the idea.

Of course we met on the mothering boards so you will find most people are like yourself.

I would never say we are totally earthy crunchy (I use Pampers!) but I recycle a lot of things as well. I also stretch the life out on things.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We go to the LLL Lombard AM meetings. I am the librarian. Its the only AM group around the western burbs. We get moms as far away as Carol strm and Schmbrg. There are 3 other meetings in the area at night.
There is a LLL couples meeting also in Villa pk that meets at night.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Sara!

Welcome! It is hard to get like minded moms together especially busy ones! Our playgroup is like that. Some moms can go months that we won't see her and then we will. But there is usually enough to have a group.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi Kimberley! Another suburbanite! Did you go to see the hot air ballons? I'm not too far from you in Lombard.

The LLL enrichment sounds really good. What a better place than LLL to find like minded parenting. Do they recommend reading to use (ie Dr Sears etc)?

: We are planning on going to the Latinfest in August in Grant Park. Although we are not hispanic, we love latin/cuban/jazz etc music. If anyone is interested in meeting let us know. DD Liz loves concerts and music like we do. She has already been going to concerts since she was about 4 weeks old. Ravinia, Jazz fests, Cantigney, you name it.

For you Northsiders.. Is there aplace to go swimming that is affordable? My sil is in Rogers Park and the only way she can go swimming and not cost $$$ is to come out by me and make the day of it. Her daughter is the same age as Liz and they love to play together. My husband and his brother think its because of AP that they are such good girls. But still their daughter loves the pool and its a haul for her to come here.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Jessica: Welcome! What can your DS eat? That sounds like a challenge, my nephew went thru that. Please keep coming to the board though even though you feel we do not live near you.

Becca: Welcome! Here is the Lombard LLL info:
La Leche League of Lombard, Illinois

All breastfeeding mothers and mothers-to-be interested in breastfeeding are welcome to come to our meetings or call one of the Leaders for breastfeeding help and/or meeting information. Babies are always welcome at our meetings.

Meeting Information

LLL of Lombard AM meets the 2nd Thursday of every month at 9:30 a.m.

LLL of Lombard PM meets on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m.

LLL of Lombard PM's meeting location is the parlor of First United Methodist Church of Lombard at 155 S. Main (NE corner of Main and Maple).

Leader Information

Lombard AM: Mary (630) 782-1905
Lombard PM: Kathy (630) 495-1247 [email protected]
Debbie (630) 495-7083 [email protected]

They had the AM meeting until recently at a place in Villa Park but it may change soon. Call Mary, she is great to talk to and she just weaned her preschooler a few months back.

Where are you in Downers?

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi Moms!
Welcome to all who are new, the list keeps growing & growing! We now have 15 posters and if lurking, give us a post so we can meet you!

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I read about the movie nights. Tues are bad for us though. We are planning on a millm park, Shed Aqurm day in sept after the kids are back in school to avoid crowds. Liz loves fish or Dorothys as she says (Elmo's fish). We also have a goldfish and she named it Dorothy.

Swimming I do at our local pool since its already paid for. But if anyone wants to go let me know. I have a punch card for AM tot swim and I will not use the whole thing. Its 9:45-11:15 am. I try to go at least twice a week but it ends up being once usually.

I have a membership to Brookfield zoo and we also go there pretty often. Since its so close, we go for a few hours and maybe meet a few people. I would love to do a zoo day also.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
LLL has a lot of leaders who use slings. I remember a mom showing us all kinds of ways to hold a baby. The leader should be able to assist or put you in touch with someone who could.

Most days are fine except Wed in the summer. We prefer AMs since DD naps in the afternoon. Is there somewhere in OakPark that we could meet? That way any suburbmom could also get there as well as public transportation for you city folk.

Any west suburb moms interested in meeting at a park in Wheaton or Lombard? Let me know.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Welcome other Amy!
Hi Jill! So good to see you here as well! How is Isabel and David doing?

My DD Liz just loves Jill's little boy! But, she loves them tall, dark, and handsome!

I just got back from a trip down to Florida for a few days. Its hot there but my folks own a home and wanted to check on things before the hurricane season. So we went along as well. Liz loves to swim and she lived in the pool in there backyard.

But, we would love to set up a playdate in the suburbs as well as a all area one. AMs work best. For you west suburbs, how is 7 gables? Should we plan on Aug 6th? (Fri)

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Seven Gables is in Wheaton.
Its off of Naperville Rd north of Butterfield rd.

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hi Jenny-welcome!
Jenny, just get used to other moms having different views. THis is why I started this chat-so I can find other like minded moms in this area.

But remember, all these difference is what makes the world go around. Also consider how you feel when conservative people try to ram down your throat how "wrong" you are.
Don't get me wrong-I'm used to most people not agreeing with our liberal ways and since I live in Dupage county, its hard to find others like myself. But we have many off the wall political viewed friends (you know republicians) and people who raise their children a heck of a lot different then we do. It just re enforces how we raise our daughter and we do not ram it down others throats like some who have tried to us. But it is fun when those types tell us how wonderful our daughter is and ask us a question about their childs behaviors or whatever.

But yes, intelligent discussions on disagreements would be great. My SIL and I disagree on everything and her choice is avoidance of me and calling us freaks. I have learned just to keep my mouth shut, find like minded mommies or realize I want my daughter to be accepting of everyone and grin and bear it. But yes its tough!!

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Ok-
For the suburban moms in the western area (and anyone who can attend) Seven Gables Park is on Naperville Rd in Wheaton north of rt 56 (Butterfield Rd).
For directions, email me
[email protected]
Friday Aug 6th 10am.

What could we do for the whole area moms, any ideas?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.