Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We go to the LLL Lombard AM meetings. I am the librarian. Its the only AM group around the western burbs. We get moms as far away as Carol strm and Schmbrg. There are 3 other meetings in the area at night.
There is a LLL couples meeting also in Villa pk that meets at night.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Hey Mamas

I am Sarah mama to Jade(almost 3). We live in the Wicker?humboldt Park area. I have tried to get together some chi town mamas...But it always falls through. Summer is a busy time. I would love to get together with some like minded mamas. I confess I am a busy mama and I dont get to the boards alot, so if you are planning a day let me know

darkstar

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Sara!

Welcome! It is hard to get like minded moms together especially busy ones! Our playgroup is like that. Some moms can go months that we won't see her and then we will. But there is usually enough to have a group.

· Registered
758 Posts
The LLL enrichment meeting is a part of the Lincoln Park LLL group. The topics are not necessarily breastfeeding issues, but parenting-related topics.

Here is the info:

La Leche League Parenting Enrichment Series Meeting
first Wednesday of the month
at Berry Memorial Church 4754 N Leavitt from 10:00am-11:30am.

The schedule is as follows:
July 7, 2004 - Loving Guidance for Toddlers and Beyond
August 4, 2004 - Nurturing Ourselves as Mothers
September 8, 2004 - Nighttime Parenting and Sleeping Arrangements
October 6, 2004 -Organizational Skills for Families
November 3, 2004 - Sibling Rivalry
December 1, 2004 - Reducing Holiday Stress
Please mark you calendar.

The next regularly scheduled series meeting will be held July 20th at
St.Luke's Lutheran School at 1500 W Belmont from 7:00pm - 8:30pm.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bethwl
Molly--I'm in Lincoln Square, too. Hoyne and Lawrence. Where do you live?

Beth
dd Annika 8.9.03
I'm in the NW corner of Lincoln Square really close to Swedish Covenant Hospital.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yogamama
The LLL enrichment meeting is a part of the Lincoln Park LLL group. The topics are not necessarily breastfeeding issues, but parenting-related topics.

Here is the info:

La Leche League Parenting Enrichment Series Meeting
first Wednesday of the month
at Berry Memorial Church 4754 N Leavitt from 10:00am-11:30am.

The schedule is as follows:
July 7, 2004 - Loving Guidance for Toddlers and Beyond
August 4, 2004 - Nurturing Ourselves as Mothers
September 8, 2004 - Nighttime Parenting and Sleeping Arrangements
October 6, 2004 -Organizational Skills for Families
November 3, 2004 - Sibling Rivalry
December 1, 2004 - Reducing Holiday Stress
Please mark you calendar.

The next regularly scheduled series meeting will be held July 20th at
St.Luke's Lutheran School at 1500 W Belmont from 7:00pm - 8:30pm.
I just found out about these meetings - I live like a1/2 mile from this church.
I'm definitely planning to go to the one in Sept.

I'm most likely going to start going to the North Park LLL meetings too.
I think I'm gonna need some support with nursing through my pregnancy.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Thanks a lot for the enrichment meeting info. I live about a 3-5 minute walk from that church. I can't go in August, but will try to in Sept. Also, in response to darkstar, I, too, would like to meet others in person. I am guilty of not following through on some plans made for moms to meet in September when dd was about a month old, but I feel like I am less overwhelmed now.

-Beth

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi Kimberley! Another suburbanite! Did you go to see the hot air ballons? I'm not too far from you in Lombard.

The LLL enrichment sounds really good. What a better place than LLL to find like minded parenting. Do they recommend reading to use (ie Dr Sears etc)?

: We are planning on going to the Latinfest in August in Grant Park. Although we are not hispanic, we love latin/cuban/jazz etc music. If anyone is interested in meeting let us know. DD Liz loves concerts and music like we do. She has already been going to concerts since she was about 4 weeks old. Ravinia, Jazz fests, Cantigney, you name it.

For you Northsiders.. Is there aplace to go swimming that is affordable? My sil is in Rogers Park and the only way she can go swimming and not cost $$$ is to come out by me and make the day of it. Her daughter is the same age as Liz and they love to play together. My husband and his brother think its because of AP that they are such good girls. But still their daughter loves the pool and its a haul for her to come here.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amys1st
For you Northsiders.. Is there aplace to go swimming that is affordable? My sil is in Rogers Park and the only way she can go swimming and not cost $$$ is to come out by me and make the day of it. Her daughter is the same age as Liz and they love to play together. My husband and his brother think its because of AP that they are such good girls. But still their daughter loves the pool and its a haul for her to come here.
Lots of the local parks have pools. I'm not sure which in Roger's Park do, but there's an outdoor and an indoor pool with in walking distance of my home.
And, um, there's always the lake, which is probably the biggest benefit to living in Roger's park.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
What about the Whelan Pool. Looks so awsome. I havent ever been inside. Its at Devon and Ridge(?) I think I will check it out online. Also, I was thinking about a camping trip in the early fall. When all the bugs are gone. Anyone else interested in this. We are going to florida on the 12th of Sept. And will be gone untill October. lEt me know

darkstar

· Registered
441 Posts
Hi, everyone! I'm Becca, mom to two boys who are 5 and 2. I live in Lincoln Square as well. I'm a sahm, and also a freelance musician so I often work on weekend evenings.

I attend the LLL meetings in our area occasionally (2-yo still nurses a lot), have been a Mothering fan for quite some time, am committed to gentle parenting and am making gradual progress towards natural family living. I must admit I couldn't care less about baseball, but still support the Cubs in an abstract, hometown sort of way...

Mimim, my younger ds was born at Swedish Covenant! We looked into a homebirth, but our insurance wouldn't cover it at all. As it was we were happy with the midwife group at SC.

We really like Whelan pool! Like some of the pools in the 'burbs, it has fancy water-spraying things, a large wading area, a nice baby pool, and even a long water slide (haven't been on that yet though). Sometimes it's awfully crowded, but I think that's the case everywhere. It used to be free, but now it's a few dollars/person (can't quite remember). Plus it's near one of our favorite toy stores, Cut Rate Toys on Devon!

I also second the recommendation to go the beach - it's free; the ones on the north side don't get too crowded on weekdays; and you can bring water/sand toys that most pools won't allow.

Becca

· Registered
3,527 Posts
Hello all -- Jessica here. I am in the South Suburbs of Chicago and NO ONE is ever near me!
I live in South Holland, but we hopefully will be moving to Northwest Indiana in the next year or two as the school system we want in on specializes with ADHD kids and well, Josh has that
I also have Zach who has eosinphilic esophagitis, Food Allergies and enviromental allergies.

· Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm Em, ds is 14 months old, still 99.99% ebf and I'd love to meet some MDC mamas irl. We went to the Door County get-together in June and it was amazing to see other families who don't think nursing past 6 months is alien-type weird, use gentle discipline, etc.

Amys1st, I'm just south of you in Downers Grove. When is the Lombard am meeting? I'm finding I need more support irl as ds get older and the inlaws get louder and louder...

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Jessica: Welcome! What can your DS eat? That sounds like a challenge, my nephew went thru that. Please keep coming to the board though even though you feel we do not live near you.

Becca: Welcome! Here is the Lombard LLL info:
La Leche League of Lombard, Illinois

All breastfeeding mothers and mothers-to-be interested in breastfeeding are welcome to come to our meetings or call one of the Leaders for breastfeeding help and/or meeting information. Babies are always welcome at our meetings.

Meeting Information

LLL of Lombard AM meets the 2nd Thursday of every month at 9:30 a.m.

LLL of Lombard PM meets on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m.

LLL of Lombard PM's meeting location is the parlor of First United Methodist Church of Lombard at 155 S. Main (NE corner of Main and Maple).

Leader Information

Lombard AM: Mary (630) 782-1905
Lombard PM: Kathy (630) 495-1247 [email protected]
Debbie (630) 495-7083 [email protected]

They had the AM meeting until recently at a place in Villa Park but it may change soon. Call Mary, she is great to talk to and she just weaned her preschooler a few months back.

Where are you in Downers?

· Registered
2,729 Posts
I never heard of Whelan pool. Where exactly is it??? On Devon and Ridge???? There wasn't a pool there when I was a kid - I grew up about a mile from there. I can't find any info about it anywhere.

Becca - you liked Swedish for your birth? How was the hospital staff other than the midwives? My insurance will only pay for Homefirst for a homebirth and Swedish is one of the Hospitals in their network. I haven't met with them yet, but that's a big plus to me because if I get transfered, I'll only transfer 3 blocks away!

Darkstar - I love fall camping! Let me know if you're planning something!

· Registered
3,527 Posts
Thanks Amy! Umm, Not a lot! LOL Actually we are both on the diet and we eat a lot of Meat, Fruit, Veggies, and we use different flours to make other things, like I mad eggless, cowmilkless, wheatless pancakes this morning. They were good!

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I'm Cheryl, and am soon to return to the area... specifically, Aurora (DuPage Cty).

DH and I both grew up in the 'burbs (Hazel Crest and Westchester). We last lived there about 15 years ago, but I just got a faculty position at one of the smaller, suburban colleges, and we're on our way back next month!

We're partially crunchy, perhaps moreso than we thought we would be. So far, DS is only 3.5 months, and we're breastfeeding (I pump, so he gets EBF at daycare), cloth-diapering, and co-sleeping (though we may try to start using the crib post-move). (We actually have a daycare here that lets us use CDs! Wish we found one up there that would...)

I've been lurking around these boards for a while now, and am just starting to "come out" and post...

· Registered
966 Posts
Whelan Pool is by me. It's in Caldwell Woods near Milwaukee/Nagle and Devon. Its right near the Chicago/Niles border. It's actually on Devon about 2 blocks east of Milwaukee/Nagle. Nagle ends at Devon and it becomes Milwaukee Ave.

A location thats easy to remember is the Superdawg.

I haven't been to the pool since they started charging. I beleive it is $5.00 for adults and a few bucks for children depending on ages.

They have 2 water slides, zero depth to get in, lots of water and stuff to climb on for older kids and a separate area for little ones, sandy area, concession stand.

I also met Carol Megansmom today!

I was on my run-walk-passout from the YMCA after 2 classes this morning and knew she lived right down the street.

I saw her out front with her dd and a new baby and asked her if she posted at Mothering.com. So we live like 2 -3 blocks away. Literally we are right down the street from each other!

21 - 40 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.