Mothering Forum banner
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

· Registered
441 Posts
OK, it's spelled Whealan! It's run by the Cook County Forest Preserves, not the city park district. There is info and prices here:

http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?content_id=55

Mimim - Yes, I liked the Swedish staff. The nurse on duty in the middle of the night when I arrived was annoying, but I basically just ignored her. It helped that I had a doula who was able to speak on my behalf. The LC who visited me the next day was awesome; wish I could remember her name. When she found out I nursed my first for 2.5 years and saw the baby nursing she said I didn't need any help, but we ended up chatting for about a half an hour (I was the last person she was seeing on her shift) and she was really inspiring. I got sort of sick of people coming in and out of my room on *their* schedule, not mine (or my baby's!), but that is par for the course for a hospital birth, of course.

Insurance would have covered a homebirth if we had been signed up for the PPO, but we have the HMO and would only have been able to switch during the annual open enrollment period, which was conveniently the month *after* my baby was due. Now that Homefirst takes HMOs through the AMI plan, we use them, so it would be easy to have a homebirth covered by insurance if we happen to have another kid.

PS - congrats on your pregnancy!

Darkstar - I haven't been camping since I was a kid, but I must admit the idea intrigues me!...

Jessica - My dh has extensive food allergies. So far my boys seem OK, but we'll see... Nice to "meet" you!

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi Moms!
Welcome to all who are new, the list keeps growing & growing! We now have 15 posters and if lurking, give us a post so we can meet you!

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Wow I am impressed. When I posted the Chicago mamas come out and play thread, this is a whole new group of mamas. SO I know that therea are alot out there. Funny, I cannot find cool mama friends to hang out with to save my life in person. Mabey I am just too darn critical
. So, when are we going to get together?? I thik a day to the pool would be great, I usually work later in the week and the weekends. Never on Mon-Thurs Days. Tuesdays are a great day for me, becuase it is my day off from work. Although I watch a friends dd who is 4 that day until Aug 20 when she goes back to school. So let me know, Summer is almost over,

Also grant park movie fest is going on right now, Tuesday nights free movies.

darkstar

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I read about the movie nights. Tues are bad for us though. We are planning on a millm park, Shed Aqurm day in sept after the kids are back in school to avoid crowds. Liz loves fish or Dorothys as she says (Elmo's fish). We also have a goldfish and she named it Dorothy.

Swimming I do at our local pool since its already paid for. But if anyone wants to go let me know. I have a punch card for AM tot swim and I will not use the whole thing. Its 9:45-11:15 am. I try to go at least twice a week but it ends up being once usually.

I have a membership to Brookfield zoo and we also go there pretty often. Since its so close, we go for a few hours and maybe meet a few people. I would love to do a zoo day also.

· Registered
758 Posts
I would be up for meeting someplace. Becca (Beccaboo) and I actually met IRL via the Mothering Boards. Becca, can you believe that was three years ago???

Lincoln Park Zoo is good for us. Or just a park. I suggest that we do something free. The zoo is free, but it cost $12 to park in the lot if you can't find a street spot. It seems that there is a mix of city and suburban people. Does anyone have a nice park they can suggest near major transporation (expressways)?

Tuesdays are mostly good for us (except LLL days). Thursdays are good after mid-August. Most afternoons after 2pm are very good, but I don't know if morning would be better for kids who nap. We could maybe do a M/W or Fri morning if I know the date far enough in advance...

Let me know.
Kathleen

· Registered
2,729 Posts
I'd like to get together too, but I probably won't be able to until September.
We're going out of town for a couple of weeks in August and my 10 yo DS is going back to school for the 1st time in two years -we've been homeschooling.

Also, I'm limited to places that I can reach by public transportation, since I don't drive.

So, if you meet in August, I'll miss it, but count on me after that!

Also, hopefully I'll see some of you at the LLL meetings. I'm definitely gonna start going in the fall. I'm going to need someone to help me figure out nursing in a sling. I never got the hang of it when my DS was tiny. It wasn't a big deal then. I'd just take a break form my work and sit down to nurse then, but this time around I'll be chasing a three year old. I think I'm going to have to rely on the sling around the house a lot more this time!

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
LLL has a lot of leaders who use slings. I remember a mom showing us all kinds of ways to hold a baby. The leader should be able to assist or put you in touch with someone who could.

Most days are fine except Wed in the summer. We prefer AMs since DD naps in the afternoon. Is there somewhere in OakPark that we could meet? That way any suburbmom could also get there as well as public transportation for you city folk.

Any west suburb moms interested in meeting at a park in Wheaton or Lombard? Let me know.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi! I'm kind-of a lurker, but need to jump in on this on here. I live in Lincoln Square...on Giddings St. Where do you guys go to LLL meetings? I live super close to Berry Memorial and will go to the parenting ones there I think but I would like to go to a "real" meeting to!
Thanks,
Vicky

· Registered
441 Posts
Kathleen is now one of my closest friends, thanks to MDC for helping us hook up!

We are pretty flexible. Mornings are usually best. I'm willing to meet in Oak Park, or elsewhere.

Vicky - welcome! You could try the Lincoln Park group (3rd Tuesday of every month at 7pm at St. Luke's on Belmont) or the Northwest group (3rd Tuesday of every month at 10am at North Park Church, 5250 N. Christiana), depending on your schedule. They are both really nice groups! Somebody please correct me if any of that info is wrong.

Mimim, I'm curious where your 10-yo is starting school. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it. I was very interested in homeschooling but we've decided to send our 5-yo to public kindergarten in the fall. I'm feeling a bit nervous! Oh, and I didn't even have a sling until my first child was a year old, but figured things out quickly with my second. I joke that my younger ds would rarely have had a chance to eat if it weren't for the sling! We nursed just about everywhere using it. I'd be happy to lend any advice I can.

Becca

· Registered
1,628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amys1st
We go to the LLL Lombard AM meetings. I am the librarian. Its the only AM group around the western burbs. We get moms as far away as Carol strm and Schmbrg. There are 3 other meetings in the area at night.
There is a LLL couples meeting also in Villa pk that meets at night.

Hi Amy! I'm Jill and I live in Carol Stream. I've attended the Lombard meetings a couple of times! It's so exciting to see you here

· Registered
1,628 Posts
I know I'm coming in late on this, but I thought I would introduce myself!

My name is Jill and I live in Carol Stream. I have 3 kids. Anthony is 6, David is 28 mths and Isabel is 13 mths. I am currently cding both little ones. I am hoping David potty learns soon though!
Isabel is still nursing
We cosleep with both babies. I would love to meet some like minded mommies in the area!

Can't wait to get to know all of you

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Hi!
I am another Amy
my dd Elle is 21 weeks today
I am a SAHM. We currently live in Waukegan but we are moving to Evanston next month. Elle is exclusivly bf, we are waiting to start solids until at least 6 months. I am going to let Elle self wean and we are not vaxing. I have not read everyone's posts yet but I look forward to chatting with all of you!!
Amy

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Welcome other Amy!
Hi Jill! So good to see you here as well! How is Isabel and David doing?

My DD Liz just loves Jill's little boy! But, she loves them tall, dark, and handsome!

I just got back from a trip down to Florida for a few days. Its hot there but my folks own a home and wanted to check on things before the hurricane season. So we went along as well. Liz loves to swim and she lived in the pool in there backyard.

But, we would love to set up a playdate in the suburbs as well as a all area one. AMs work best. For you west suburbs, how is 7 gables? Should we plan on Aug 6th? (Fri)

· Registered
5,991 Posts
I know I'm coming in late here, but I'd like to join! I live in Mundelein with my two girls. Katie is 3 and still nursing.
And Emily is 7.5 months and I'm pumping exclusively for her (she has a cleft palate).

Because of the pumping, I'm not really able to get out very far or for very long, but would love to talk to people that know the area! And I won't be pumping forever. My hope is that when Emily has her palate repaired (October 4), she will be able to get back on the breast again.

Bec

41 - 60 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.