Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of organizing a weekly afternoon of craft making with a group of moms in my neighborhood. We all have kids ranging from newborn to 16months.<br><br>
I am hoping to get a jump start on Christmas gifts and decorations through this group. Do you have favorite craft ideas that would be appropriate for 8 mommies to do in an afternoon? So far my first idea is tie dye... not sure exactly what to dye but I think it would be fun!<br><br>
Thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What about bead necklaces and bracelets? If you've never done it before, any bead shop will ususally walk you through the basics, and it's definiely doable to finish in one afternoon. Everyone could bring some beads and share, maybe.<br><br>
You'd just have to have a place where they could be out of reach of the little ones....I'm not sure what you're set-up is...but beads are so enticing to toddlers!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The paint-your-own-cermanic places in my area will come to your location with items for you to paint. The kids could do handprint-reindeer on "cookies for Santa" plates, that sort of thing. They then fire them at the store and you pick them up later.<br><br>
There are special paints you can paint on glasses with.<br><br>
Or buy a bunch of greenery and candles and decor for everyone to make decorations for the mantle and table.<br><br>
You can also get kits to make soaps and candles. I've never doner either, but they sound fun to me.<br><br>
Just wander around your local craft store (Michael's or A.C.Moore) and you will get lots of inspiration.<br><br>
I love the idea of a weekly craft group. Wish I lived in your neighborhood!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You can color (food dye - look for this craft recipe online) your own pasta (penne) and make necklaces. I've done it. No small beads to accidently eat. The pasta is not edible (my recipe had rubbing alcohol.)<br><br>
I know there are tons kids crafts websites... no time to look right now.<br><br>
Try <a href="http://familyfun.go.com/" target="_blank">Family Fun Magazine</a> to start. I love that magazine.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
those mosiac stepping stones are really neat.<br><br>
I don't know about the kids around that though.<br><br>
You can make lip balm, body salve and bath bombs. The ingrediants in those are pretty safe but you'll want to keep the essential oils away from the kids.<br><br>
You can probably find plain kids clothes you could dye, that would be fun.<br>

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i learned a neat craft recently, very very easy and quick, almost like decoupage<br><br><br>
you buy the brown craft boxes at the craft store, almost like cardboard, a package of mulberry paper (usually in the scrapbook section) and some glue sticks. you tear the mulberry paper into pieces and then glue to the box. simple as that. i plan to make some with my kids for grandparents. the boxes come in different sizes but ihave no idea of the cost. have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts