Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the holidays are upon us I'm really trying to come up with some activities we can do as a family to help our children understand concepts like gratitude and generosity, and not just eating a lot, Santa Claus and gift giving. We'll be putting together food items for the various food drives, and choosing a kid to buy a gift for from the "angel trees" they have around here. But I'd really like to think of some other activities, even really simple ones. I love Thanksgiving and Christmas but want to take this opportunity to teach the kids what they're really supposed to be about. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
How about writing letters and sending packages to the soldiers

Working together at a soup kitchen

We do the giving tree at church and they help pick out which things we will buy, and we also do a food drive for needy families.

Donating gently used books/toys and clothes to a shelter

Are there any childresn homes that maybe you can host a child for the holiday

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
What about taking your kids with you to serve food at a soup kitchen or shelter during the holidays. Many shelters (particularly those for battered women/children) also have holiday parties that you can help out at--setting up, serving food, handing out gifts, baking, etc. Your kids could aloso organize a garage sale or bake sale and donate the proceeds to a charity.

I think the "angel tree" is a great idea. There are others like that. The Salvation Army often has an adopt-a-family program around the holidays (not a fan of the organization myself, but...). In NYC, the post office gets thousands of "dear santa" letters from needy kids, and you can go pick one out and get a gift for the child/family. See if your local post office does something similar. You could also check out the organization stockingswithcare.org, which will send you a "dear santa" letter from a needy child--I think you can choose an age range, so you could find a child similar in age to your own. (Stockings with Care is more reliable than the post office, I think, because the post office can't verify that the letters actually come from needy families).

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
ours won't be able to hold up its own head this Christmas -- but here are some ideas my sisters use and some ideas i grew up with and some idea DH and I have for our family

-- every Nov we clean out toys and clothing and household stuff that we don't use and give to charity. Talking -- age level -- about others who need help.

-- we always take a huge role in the adopt a family at Dh's work (used to be mom's work). food, clothing, toys, the whole bit. Kids help choose and wrap. That family becomes part of our family -- not that we meet them.

-- 6 yo DN makes a list of what he thinks the kids of the adoptive family would want -- before his own list. 4 yo DN helps.

-- advent clanader-- lots of books, age level, about the real Christmas story -- not just Santa and reindeer. Every time we read Santa we read one of the others too.

-- read the real christmas story first thing in the morning BEFORE gifts are opened. (all cuddled up by the tree).

(and yes we ready the night before the night before too)

-- no baby Christ in the navity set till that morning....connect that Christmas is the birth of Christ.

I am sure tehe are others...........

Aimee

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
When I was little, my mother presented the family with a shoebox and some straw to represent baby Jesus' manger. For the month of December, each time we did a good deed for someone else in the family, we put a little straw in the "manger." The goal was to have enough straw by Christmas eve for baby Jesus to have a comfortable bed. We drew names once a week - I think that was to keep us from only doing good deeds for our favorite sibling.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee21972
-- advent clanader-- lots of books, age level, about the real Christmas story -- not just Santa and reindeer. Every time we read Santa we read one of the others too.

-- read the real christmas story first thing in the morning BEFORE gifts are opened. (all cuddled up by the tree).

(and yes we ready the night before the night before too)

-- no baby Christ in the navity set till that morning....connect that Christmas is the birth of Christ.

Aimee
We do these things too! I didn't even think to list them. When we read the story books I actually wrap them all in Christmas paper and everynight when they open the Advent calendar they also choose a book to read.

We also sing Happy Birthday to Jesus when we put him in the manger. The boys really look forward to doing that. And I tell them, isn't it nice that Jesus wanted us to get presents on HIS birthday.
: It's so hard to stay away from the whole commercial aspect of Christmas isn't it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Making canned soups, stews, and tinned cookies for family and friends, or needy people.

Having the kids help sort patches to sew blankets for a needy family.

Collecting old clothes (and making simple fleece scarves and hats and gloves out of old sweaters) for a needy family.

I always like to get the name of a needy family in the community, and make two big warm blankets for them, a coat, hat, scarf, and mittens for everyone, a few canned soups and homemade bread and tins of cookies, a few books for the kids, and maybe a toy apiece (this year, I have a family with a 6 year old daughter, a five year old son, and a 1 year old daughter. I am making the 6 year old a rag doll with two little outfits, the boy is getting a soccer ball (it's what he wanted), and the 1 year old is getting a knitted teddy bear; each of the older two are getting some blank drawing paper and crayons). I always package this up in a big box, tied with a bow and leave it on their doorstep on Christmas Eve, with a big note from Saint Nicholas.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My family always had a birthday cake for Jesus, with little manger scene cake toppers. Then we'd pass out bells and sing:

Happy Birthday we sing
To Jesus our King
For his birthday is Christmas
Let the Happy Bells Ring

ring bells then follow with, "Come on ring those bells" while ringing the bells in rythm

Come on ring those bells
Light the Christmas tree
Jesus is the King
Born for you and me

Come on ring those bells
Everybody say
Jesus we remember
This your birthday

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Since I won't be heading out to visit family this year, I think I'm going to focus on ritual. DD is still a bit young to know what's going on, but I'm sure she'll get a kick out of helping me make a Yule wreath. Also, if we get an oven by then we'll bake blueberry muffins for Solstice morning. This is continuing a tradition we had when I was growing up of blueberry muffins for breakfast Christmas morning.

Y'know, if we do get that oven, it would be neat also to bake enough to take some to a shelter or something for Christmas morning.

·
Registered
624 Posts
One tradition that we are trying to get going is to make a gingerbread house on christmas eve with the kids decorating it and taking it to a fire station or a police station to say thanks for working at such an important job for the holidays.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.