Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am 25 weeks pregnant with baby number five with 2 prior vaginal deliveries and 2 prior C/S. I had a C/S with number 3 due to breech positioning and attempted an induced VBAC with number 4 and was sectioned to to "failure to Progress." ( Wish I hadn't agreed but I had been dialated to 6 for 6 hours.)

My current OB sectioned #4 and I am not really happy with him. He will NOT allow me to attempt a VBAC with this one because the last one failed. IMO, the last one failed because he induced before she was ready with far too many interventions for me to RELAX and just let things happen.

Anyway, he is supposedly the only VBAC friendly doc in Lincoln, NE and I've decided I'm not okay with just giving up on a successful VBAC but this time I want to do it MY WAY. In other words, I want a doctor willing to let me go to at least 42 weeks, who is very hands off and will just LEAVE me(and baby) be. Oh, and since I tend to labor very slowly, one who is willing to let me labor for at least 24 hours. I tend to get stuck somewhere just before transition for quite some time. My first labor was 63 hours!

I am willing to drive to Omaha, know anyone good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have called them but so far they haven't returned my calls.
Its very HARD to get a hold of anyone at UNMC other than a receptionist. I have a feeling if I pressed my current OB he would give in, but if I have to press him he's not really supportive, KWIM?
I plan on attempting a VBA2C with or without a supportive care provider but I'd prefer to do it with one. The last thing I want is to fight with someone about my labor and interventions throughout the entire thing. I've had 2 C/S in the last 3 years so finding one might be a bit difficult though. Still, both my scars are fine and I feel like I healed better from the last C/S than the first and the last scar held with no deheisance(sp) through a 14+hour labor induced with pitocin. IMO, if the first scar could take that with pit(and I had a massive uterine infection after my 1st C/S) then the second one can hold up without pit, because I will NOT be induced again.
I believe my body can do this, but my doctor doesn't seem to want to allow it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. I managed to get an appt. with one of the midwives, now its just a matter of getting my surgical reports together(one of them is out of state) before next week so they can pass them on to one of the OB's to look over.
In my first report there is a notation about my uterine wall being "very thin", hope it doesn't matter to them. I had been in labor for 5 hours at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Good luck with your appointment. If you get a chance, can you post (or PM me) to let me know how it goes? I work with ICAN of Central Iowa, and we are the closest ICAN group to Omaha. It might be helpful for me to know how vbac-supportive that practice is.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchouchins View Post
Good luck with your appointment. If you get a chance, can you post (or PM me) to let me know how it goes? I work with ICAN of Central Iowa, and we are the closest ICAN group to Omaha. It might be helpful for me to know how vbac-supportive that practice is.

Thanks!
Had my appt. with them and I must say I'm pretty impressed with their stats.
They do require continous fetal monitoring, which I am not too happy about but other than that they seem to be hands-off. They had 32 VBAC attempts last year, 30 of them successful so that means a success rate of 94%. There overall C/S rate is less than 13%. Whatever they're doing, it must be working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I am a patient of the CNM's but they do refer you to the OB for VBAC counseling, where he explains the risk and I sign saying I understand them. my understanding is I only have to meet with him once.
After that, I am in the hands of the CNM's unless they see something during the labor/pregnancy that they don't like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Just another Iowa gal butting in here. I have had two VBAC's and labor VERY slowly too. I had labored 12 hrs, made it to 3 cm, when my c/s was done. It took 36 and then 26 hrs to get my two VBAC's out. The slow laboring was a HUGE concern of mine too, esp. w/ the doctors breathing down my mw's neck. I hate hospitals as it is and didn't want to go early anyway, so I waited and labored at home until I knew I was close -- I went at 8cm w/ the first and 10cm w/ the second.

Good luck! I hope the midwives in Omaha continue to work out and we would love to hear the reports!

Kelly
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top