Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there

I'm looking for a home birth midwife in the Lacey, WA area. I know that the natural birth community is pretty big there, so I'm hoping to narrow down my search by getting some suggestions/recommendations. I'm an "older mom" (will be 36 when the baby is born), pregnant with my fourth child. All three births have been unmedicated and one of them was born at home (also in WA) in 2004. My family and I are PCSing to Fort Lewis in July (from Fort Bragg in NC) and I will be about 26 weeks pregnant at that point, so I'm hoping I can find someone who will take on a client that is already that far along. I have a risk factor of a MTHFR gene mutation, so I have been seen by an OB (as well as one maternal fetal medicine doc) up til now, but I am asymptomatic and neither I nor the baby have any apparent complications. Does it sound like I will be risked out of the hb scene there, or am I fairly likely to find someone who will work with me?

As far as paying goes, I would be delighted (and shocked) if I can find someone is contracted with my insurance (Tricare Prime), but lacking that, I need to find someone who will work with us to figure out a payment plan. Moving is going to be a fairly large expenditure and we won't have a lot extra for a while.

Thank you so much for any and all recommendations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and probably full of autocorrect weirdness.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I hope you get a response soon, but this forum hasn't been really active. I have no experience with them, but have you interviewed these people? http://www.aroundthecirclemidwifery.com/ They do home births and also have a birthing center on Martin in Olympia, really close to Lacey. I know that you can get the fee down under 4K if you end up paying out of pocket. I'm not optimistic about Tricare, unfortunately. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
There were only 2 cnm'a in the entire puget sound region in 2008 when I had my first with tricare. I desired a homebirth. My cnm was Sally avenson. I didn't much like her and she almost missed my birth as she thought I wasn't really in labor. The other midwife who shared an office with her (also a cnm) has wonderful glowing reviews, but is unfortunately popular for this reason.... something or another brown was her name Susan brown maybe? I can't recall her name. She wasn't available when at 20 weeks I decided to transfer to a midwife and attempt a home birth. I say attempt because I risked out at my due date when my blood pressure became too high. I was then induced naturally with a Foley catheter and gave birth at group health capitol hill after 11 hours of labor. No water birth and their tubs suck. The bathtub is in an enclosed bathroom with pretty much no ventilation... so you overheat fast. I also hated that the windows were so thin. I was kept awake by the noise of traffic outside. The staff was very nice and supportive though and and I had a wonderful nurse who was actually there the whole time, unlike my midwife.

Things may have changed since then and you might luck out with another cnm near fort Lewis. Tricare really only covers cnms though and most are only contracted to do hospital births. I hear st.joseph's hospital has great birthing suites though and allows water births.

Your other option would be to drop tricare and apply for dshs through the Washington connection website. Apple health is what you want. Regular midwives take it and we have a ton in the area. I'm on apple health care, specifically community health plan insurance.

Good luck with your search!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts