Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to get into too many details, but a friend is likely to have a planned C-section b/c she has complete placenta previa that hasn't moved and also a liver hemangioma. Of course, she and her partner (who had an unplanned CS and runs our ICAN chapter) aren't thrilled. I

would like to organize a birth blessing for her, but realize that this situation is different and am looking for ritual ideas. Seems like so many of the ideas focus on inspiring vaginal birth and I want to find ways to support them on their unique birth journey.

Ideas???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Angie, Leah or Emily at Birth Roots would be good people to contact for this I think. They may be able to provide you with some ideas or suggestions at least.
Good luck, that is very considerate of you!
Nicole

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
At the birth blessings my friends and I do, we don't really focus all that much on method of delivery, anyhow.

We usually ask everyone to bring a special bead; a poem, prayer, song, reading, or blessing of some kind (or they can "make it up" when it's their turn to share); a dish or snack; and we ask a few people to supply massage oils, footbath supplies, etc.

We usually munch for a while, introduce each other, etc., then we'll do a massage thing. One of us will do the shoulders/arms, another the belly, someone else the legs and footbath, and another will gently massage the scalp, comb the hair, and braid in flowers, ribbons, etc.

Then we'll sit in a circle and share our reflections on pregnancy, birth, motherhood, how the transformation changes us and helps us grow, etc., usually based on the readings everyone brought. Then we pass around a leather cord or string, and we each give our well wishes and hopes for the mom and baby as we thread our bead onto it. Finally, we pass along the roll of cord and we each wrap it once around one wrist and add a single bead until we are all connected by the same line, then we ceremoniously "cut" the cord and tie each individual bracelet. A kind of "We are all One, yet separate and apart" analogy.

So I'd keep the focus on all of that.... the blessings, hopes, and well wishes for mom, baby, and the family as a whole, and the immense transformation one undergoes in her journey through motherhood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts