Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I can't believe I'm writing this, but after all these years, my DH still has difficulty accepting our 10 year old son's need to stim (dx ASD).  Can you help me find published information about autism and stimming?  I know I read something by Temple Grandin many years ago that made a lot of sense to me, but I can't find it now.  I write articles for a non-profit organization's blog on disabilities, and I would like to collect as much info as possible to put in an article about stimming.  I know my DH, and I know that having reliable info from a published source is the best way to help him on his road to acceptance.  TIA</p>

·
Registered
808 Posts
<p>I think it's from "Thinking in Pictures", that you mean.  I also have a title of a scholarly article I found a link to while on the net, didn't read it, but what I read about it seems in line.  There's also a short YouTube clip of Temple Grandin talking about stimming and it being fine for stress relief if not done all day.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My mother in law works with psychiatric patients but still can't get her head around stimming in autism, with either my son or her niece (to whom she's the legal guardian and in practical terms grandparent by adoption).  I keep stressing harmful or not harmful.  As in, if it's just annoying your husband but not harmful, then maybe he can learn to deal with it as something allowed for your son to calm himself in the comfort of home.  In our home, we had to put a stop to the skin picking and biting, it was a health issue.  Can we deal with paper being torn into tiny pieces? Yup, but not out at the restaurant.  Can we deal with watching water pour - that's OK in the tub, but not when trying to get homework done.  I think both authors have looked at this.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Grandin, Temple, Thinking in Pictures and Other Reports from My Life with Autism, First Vintage Books, Novembeber 1996<br><br>
TSBVI Deafblind Outreach, P.S. News!!!, Moss, Kate, “Looking at Self-Stimulation in the Pursuit of Leisure or I’m Okay, You Have a Mannerism,” V:3, Spring 1993 issue (accessed December 15, 2010</p>

·
Registered
200 Posts
<p>I guess one thing that has helped me understand my son's need to stim is that a lot of people without special needs do certain things with their bodies. I chew on my fingernails — a lot. I chew on pens, toothpicks, drinking straws. It's just something apparently my body needs to do. My sister is of of those people whose leg is constantly in motion, tapping her foot when she sits down. Neither of these is considered to be that embarrassing to do in public, and we can will ourselves to stop in certain situations. My son's rocking and bumping his head backward repeatedly can be embarrassing, but this is how I think of it anyway.</p>

·
Registered
124 Posts
<p>have you heard of the son-rise program?  they refer to stims as "-ism's", and their approach to ism's is called "joining" where you join your child in their stimming repetitive behaviors to make a connection with them...to enter their world and show them your love is unconditional....instead of trying/forcing them to enter our world.....mimicing their behavior and joining is supposed to result in emotional connections and hence, want to step out and join our world.  there are lots of videos to see "joining" on their website and it's pretty fascinating to see kids respond.</p>

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Here's the blog article that came from this discussion: <a href="http://blog.friendshipcircle.org/2012/03/22/the-cause-of-stimming-whats-your-stim/#disqus_thread" target="_blank">http://blog.friendshipcircle.org/2012/03/22/the-cause-of-stimming-whats-your-stim/#disqus_thread</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you, Farmer Beth, for the reference to the article by Kate Moss!  That was very helpful.  I also included a reference to the Son-Rise program.  :)</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts