Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the good news is that I found out that some dear friends did not circ their baby boy - I had encouraged them to investigate the whole issue, and they know my son is gleefully intact - but just didn't even ask when he was born because I didn't want to know and was afraid, basically. So, Woohoo! another intact little man on the planet, BUT....

They heard about the study that said HIV was SO MUCH MORE likely to be contracted by intact males than circ'd males, and while they have no intention of circ'ing him now, they seem to feel like they wish they'd known more about some of the pro-circ-ish studies out there. So could anyone, anyone at all, give me a link or some information on that study, explaining why it was flawed and anything else about it as well, please? I'd like for them to at least hear both sides of that story, yk?

TIA!
lizzie

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
http://www.circumstitions.com/HIV.html

This explains it very well.

Another thing to point out to them is that if circ prevented AIDS as well as they are trying to say it does then why does the USA with the most circed men have one of the highest AIDS infection rates in the world.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
: Is it possible that in Kenya, casual sex is less common among the same groups that practice circ, and that there is NO causal relationship? Sorry if this borders on religious discussion, but my husband worked in Kenya for a year. Somalis and Swahilis(mostly Muslim) tended to have more prohibitions against casual sex, and practiced circ(yeah..female too) more often than the non-Muslim tribal groups.
Assuming a causal relationship between the too is flawed at best. Especially in a region were HIV infection is running rampant, people need REAL information, not pseudo-science!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is a pretty good handout. Puts circumcision in historical perspective as having been touted for every ailment known to man. Also gives quotes from AIDS and UN experts on how circumcision is no magic bullet. Circumcised men can and do get HIV (US has highest rate of non-religiously circumcised sexually active men and highest rates of HIV and STDs in the developed world). Circumcised men still need to use condoms and practice other safe sex behaviors, or they will be at high risk for HIV. Correct consistent condom use has been shown to be 98-100% effective in preventing transmission of HIV.

http://www.mgmbill.org/circandaids.pdf

Gillian

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brilliant, ladies, thanks! They're extremely intelligent and loving people, and I'm sure it's just one of those initial reaction things, something they only heard about in some silly mainstream newspaper/AP outlet - or sadly uniformed but well-meaning relative (gotta love those
). Appreciate the info!

lizzie

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I've had a chance to really read through these links, all of this info was exactly what I was looking for. Precisely the kind of thing that they would be interested in seeing. Thanks again!!

lizzie

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Relevant
Circumstitions pages: http://www.circumstitions.com/HIV.html#flawed ,
and http://www.circumstitions.com/HIV-SA.html . To call Auvert's work
a "study" is to do an injustice to bona fide science. Auvert makes the claim
that circumcision provides a "60%" reduction rate in HIV

This is a deliberate "spin" on the findings. Among 1039 men in the group, 49 intact men got HIV, 20 cut men got HIV. Difference: 29 cut
men (among 1039) who didn't get HIV - the whole burden of the study
falls on them. Out of the group total these numbers are small and there are many variables that could have factored into this finding e.g. perhaps the cut men were so sore from their fresh circ that they didn't have sex. This is part of the reason why no credible medical journal has ever published Auvert.
It's only been placed on a website that is specifically for science that no bona fide medical journal will publish. That tells you something. The only thing brilliant about this project was the way they sold it to the N. American press who ran it over and over without checking into it.
Baybee

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Baybee... I think that was the specific study that had them concerned to begin with!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.