Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking lately (well, really for a long time) that I'd like to be a doula or a midwife. Can someone send me some info or in a direction to get started? I don't know what the process is yet. Also, I definitely would like to become an LC. Anyone know?

TIA!
Micki

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well, there are several certifying organizations for doulas: ALACE, CAPPA, DONA, ICEA... and probably a few others that I'm blanking on. You could check out their req'ments on their sites. I'm with ALACE and it's a weekend workshop, a bunch of books on pregnancy/breastfeeding/medical myths/etc, attending 6 births, a written exam, and feedback from 3 clients. I believe most of the organizations are pretty similar in what they require to become certified.

However, there is no governing board that says a doula has to be certified. There are millions of doulas who aren't with any organization who are awesome.

As far as what to think about: childcare is usually a big issue, so start thinking about that right away. I have an arrangement with my best friend where I pay her when I'm at a birth. I also have a zillion back-up babysiters and a dh who can come home if he has to.

That's pretty much it. A love for birth. Placentas. That sort of thing

·
Registered
142 Posts
Also check out the required reading for doulas on those websites (DONA, CAPPA, etc). That can give you some great insight on what exactly a doula is and you can see if you are truly interested in it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the help! This is a great place to start
You're definitely right - childcare would be the biggest concern I can foresee right now. Thanks again!

Micki

edited because I typed "childbirth" instead of "childcare", LOL. Childbirth definitely would be the biggest concern, LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts