Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this, or participated in a homeschool science fair?

How do you deal with Evolution vs. Creation science schism in the homeschool community? We are not Creation Science people-- there is a Creation Science fair in our area already. I suspect that a fair number of people who participate in that would like to also participate in a general homeschool science fair. I don't know how to judge projects if some kids have been given reference materials that are not considered reputable by the scientific community. I assume that if my kids entered a project in the Creation Science fair that treated evolution as an established scientific theory, they would be judged harshly for it, because the Creation Science community doesn't accept that...

I don't want to offend anyone here, I'm just trying to figure out how to make this work in a way that is fair and kind and doesn't require judges to ignore what is and is not considered "good science" by the scientific community.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I've hosted a science fair for a few years for our local group.
Honestly - we just avoid the whole thing and it has never been an issue. Most of the projects don't have anything to do with evolution vs creationism. Rather than judging, I have comment cards for visitors to leave feed back and have asked "scientists" to come and talk to the kids about what they have learned. The scientists are teacher friends, parents from our homeschool group who work in science related fields etc.

All the kids get a certificate at the end and we call it done.

It's not structured like the more competitive science fairs done through schools - but we have the opportunitity to have our kids enter those directly if we wish. The one I host is more to allow kids to have a project, do their display and have their family and friends see it.

hth
Karen

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I want to remain respectful, but at the same time I have to come right out & say that a creation science fair, is in reality.. a religion fair. MOST science fair projects, as someone else stated, don't directly touch on evolution at all. I remember electrical circuits, solar things, and such as that from our science fairs in school.

I personally wouldn't participate in a creationist fair with my kids at all. And I think the idea of hosting your own rocks
The comment card idea is great too... I always hated that out of all the entries only 3 got any kind of recognition.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Ugh, don't you just hate that huge elephant in the room when dealing with homeschool stuff?

I do think it is unlikely that an entrant would have a project that deals very directly with evolution. If you are part of a secular homeschool group, and they are sponsoring the fair, it should be pretty clear what standards will be judged.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
And if someone does show up with a creation project and it isn't based on sound science, it's just not going to win, right? I wouldn't address it at all and just let people use their own judgment. If it becomes some sort of problem, then maybe next time you can have a "no evolution/creation topic" rule.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.