Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To send her or not.....I'm doing the whole kindergarten round-up thing, but haven't decided if I'm sending dd in the fall. She will turn 5 in August, but I'm less concerned about that then if it's really what's best for her...and our family dynamics are playing a role too.<br><br>
I have a 12 month old son and I would like to allow them another year to bond before being separated all day long. Do you think that year even matters?<br><br>
I'm feeling stressed out at home with them all day and this has been going on for a while. I'm actually feeling like she would have more fun if she was at school rather than be here with grouchy, boring MOM.<br><br>
I don't even know if she's intellectually or emotionally ready, hoping the teacher at round-up will have some insight. I personally, really feel sometimes that she is behind her peers, but there is the chance I'm being too hard on her.<br><br>
Part of me really wants to homeschool, but more for emotional, physical protection than to actually DO the homeschooling. My dd is sweet, loving, and kind and has never even experienced someone calling her a name or hitting her. I don't want her to become one of those rude, obnoxious, uncaring kids (not that all kids in school are like that--I never was, so I'd hope she'd never become that way).<br><br>
any ideas for me? thoughts?<br>
sarah

·
Registered
699 Posts
It is so hard to let our kids go off to school. I think I cried every day for the first week. Your fears were my fears.<br><br>
What I learned was, that the first 5 years are the most important in shaping my ds and the school enviroment didn't change who he was. He loves school and his new friends. I stay involved in the school so that I can be a part of his new world, he likes it when I come to volunteer and I love it. It also enabled me to get to know his friends and that way I can know who to have playdates with after school; the kids who are kind, not the bossier ones.<br><br>
I bring him home for lunch as often as he wants, in order to stay connected during the day. No after school activites (I pull him out of school for piano lessons). He is all mine from 3pm on and on weekends!<br><br>
He adores his little sister. She was born a month after he started school and she came in the sling when I volunteered. They really have a good relationship that distance during the day helps with. Plus I enjoy time just with her as well.<br><br>
It is funny how people will say that it will all work itself out and it does, it really does.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
K is usually either all day every other day or half day every day. There is plenty of bonding time and if she is socially, psychologically & academically ready then I'd send her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts