Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

We recently moved to Ashland from the Bay Area and I would so love to connect with some other like-hearted mamas and families.
We are your standard quirky, groovy, artsy, musical new-age hippy types: co-sleeping, babywearing, organic eating, nursing everywhere kind of folks
:. Our daughter is 7 1/2 months old and just started really crawling everywhere, pulling herself up onto all sorts of hazardous furniture, (I never noticed before how SHARP everything is) feeling compelled towards whatever un-toy-like object is nearby (piece of paper, papa's shoe, electrical cord, dead bug etc...) I feel like the fun-ruiner, continually pulling her away from things, then condescendingly distracting her with something she's allowed to play with
. DH works as a sustainability consultant for individuals, small businesses, and organizations; supporting people in becoming more green on whatever level(s) they are available for. Until I reached my 9th month of pregnancy I had a private counseling and energy healing practice. Our daughter loves to sing loudly, give lots of kisses
, eat bananas and avocados, take hot baths, go for long walks strapped to my front where she can conveniently nurse whenever she pleases, games of silliness and tickling, and the combination of her new-found independant mobility with the assurance of my welcoming lap very near-by. Our life is full of huge love and human challenges. I'm craving mama friends to walk/hike with, meet for tea, playdates, just natural, sweet communion. Are any of you out there?
:
Blessings,
Jes

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hi mama,
We don't live in Ashland but we are thinking of moving to OR next spring when DD is a bit older....What's the scoop on Ashland?

I lived in Corvallis about 9 years ago and visited Ashland a couple times...We are searching for a good place to raise DD, has health minded folks, art & music scenes and some culture! We live in VT now and are not looking forward to below zero with DD who is 6 mo!

In peace
:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Avena,

Don't quite know what happened to my original post...will have to fix that!
As I am new to Ashland I'm probably not the best one to describe it to you...I can tell you that we moved here for all the reasons you named. It's a beautiful community filled with progressively-minded folks, seems very child/family focused, artistic, health-embracing, life-celebrating people. The town embodies a wonderful combination of the small-town, quiet peaceful vibe with a culturally intelligent, vibrant and involved community. Lots of music, alternative film showings, community gatherings etc..The food co-op is fabulous, and the local farmer's market truly one of the most substantial and diverse markets I've ever shopped at. We moved here from the Bay Area because we were tired of spending most of our lives in the car, and wanted to live a more localized existence...with the capability of walking and riding our bikes into town. In our first six weeks here we filled our gas tank only once! We visited the town when I was 5 months pregnant and I felt so embraced by the community even as a visitor, just because I was bringing a new child into the world. People here in general seem incredibly open, welcoming, down-to-earth, beautiful. We've been here 4 months now and I've yet to make any deep sister connections, yet I see beautiful families around all the time--
Hope this helps!
Blessings to you!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Hello!

I don't live in Ashland either, but I just wanted to say

I hope you find some local mama friends soon!

Hug that baby for me!

Lex

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
we should be moving to Ashland around february so my husband can work in Klamath Falls as a tattoo artist, where he has a HUGE job prospect.
I have only been to Ashland twice but fell in love from the moment i stepped out of the car. its completely the place for us.
we have an almost 16 mo dd Adelaine and as soon as we move we will be ttc#2.
we co-sleep, babywear(its getting hard with a 30lber!) eat as organically as we can, are vegetarian, want a bio diesel vehicle so madly we can taste the used veg oil!!! i had a breast reduction 5 years ago after i was told i would never ever ever be able to get pregnant and if i did it would never go full term, lol, really, is that why i have my sweet precious miracle child?! lol. so i am unable to breastfeed, however i plan on using the Lact-aid supplimental nurser with our next child and all future children, so they get whatever breastmilk i CAN make, cause i still leak a drop a day, but thats all i ever made really, never more than 5-10 ccs in 24 hours. so i dont BF, but plan to nurse, does that make sense? lol. this is long.
hope to be able to meetup when we move down there.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey Mamas!

Jmamasun- thanks for the info. on Ashland, we will look into it more... As we REALLY want to move!

How's the housing situation? Are rents decent?
Are their jobs in Ashland? I'm a certified herbalist & certified yoga teacher, my DP is a musician and would look for work at the health food store.

Thanks for all the info. we may be in Ashland!
:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.