Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Dh and I have decided to move out to Hood River, OR, next year, where dh's sister lives. We'll stay there and rent while we find the town where we want to buy some land and build a house. I thought I'd ask all of you if you can recommend a small liberalish town we might like. We'd prefer higher elevation b/c we want more snow. Something with a little life/culture would be great, too (like coffee shop, community events, homeschooling group, etc.). Any thoughts? Thanks! Kelly

·
Registered
770 Posts
Have you ever visited Cle Elum/Roslyn on I-90 in WA? Check it out.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Sorry to anyone who lives in Cle Elum or that area but not exactly the life/culture hot spot.
I am originally from Leavenworth, WA so I guess I have never lived in Cle Elum but if you blink you pretty much miss it! Leavenworth is very pretty and gets quite a bit of snow but its a tourist town so you pay accordingly (the nearest large city being Wenatchee, WA is 22 miles away). There are alot of very pretty little towns on the East side of the state.
Allison

·
Registered
39 Posts
Roslyn, WA is a great town. I read your beginning few responses where 2 people lumped Roslyn and Cle Elum together. Geographically this is accurate, but there is a big difference between the two.

I lived in Roslyn for several years, and had the best time. The town is TINY, but unfortunately growing as trendwest just bought a ton of land around there for resort. I didn't have a kid when I lived there...but there were definately neat parents, sahd's, ect. It is a very artistic, creative very uninhibited community. There is a lot of drinking and bars there, at the time for me that was un upside, now might be a downside. But it could be cool...I remember one bar doing an open mic night and locals coming out of the wood work with flutes and cellos, playing piano, dancing and singing in other languages...There were less than 1000 residents, but a veggie coffee shop/juice bar with some health food, a great little movie theatre that serves real butter and brewer's yeast for p-corn, and veggie dogs.

The people their were unlike any I've ever encountered. I should write a book. It is, by the way, the town where that show Northern exposure was filmed. But the real people of the town outshine, out do, and are more bizarre, individual and unique than of any show on earth.

There is snow for probably 6 mos out of the year, which is such a special, awesome time. In the summer you get tourists and campers, in the winter it is cozy and has a feeling of solitude.

People in the town have a tendency to paint there homes with bright, nice colors, and the snow leads to metal a-frame roofs which come in every color of the rainbow and more. I always loved looking out over the town, which is basin shaped, and seeing all those pretty roofs.

Tell 'em Jada sent you....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. We've definitely got Roslyn on our list to check out (I've seen every episode of Northern Exposure several times!). We were going to stop by there on a recent trip out west, but it was a little too far out of our way (we wanted to see a bunch of BC, too). Now I wished we had gotten there. We'll check out the other places mentioned, too, like Leavenworth and North Bend. I can't wait to get out there. It's so hard to wait!

·
Registered
714 Posts
My husband and I actually love travelling and love all of those places previously mentioned

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Kelly!

My DH and I are also moving to Hood River OR next year...(we are 95% sure pending a couple of issues we need to sort out!)...We are going to spend a weekend there looking around at property...especially in Hood River and Bingen on the Washington side...I'm interested in buy some acreage and building a Lindal home...we'll see!!! Anyway...good luck to you and family on your quest for a HOME...(not just the building)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.