Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div class="post-content-area indexable">
<div class="wiki_markup" id="user_content_16036794">
<p>I'm looking for a midwife in Seattle . I really want someone who will not send me to the hospital with out a really good reason and who would go with me to the hospital or find someone who could if there is a need before birth . I really want someone who will follow though the who pregnacy even if I end up needing a hospital birth .</p>
<p>I'm thinking of doing double care paying out of pocket for a LM and also seeing a hospital midwife group who could bill insurance</p>
<p>any suggestions who do you like and why</p>
</div>
</div>

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
The Maws website has a list of midwives to check out.<br>
<a href="http://www.washingtonmidwives.org/directory/index.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.washingtonmidwives.org/directory/index.shtml</a><br><br>
Most LMs will go with you to the hospital. I know I always transfer with my clients if nevcesary.<br><br>
If you are really worried about hospital coverage, why not try Midwife Seattle, a cnm/LM practice that does hospital and home births. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>I worked with them last time had a plactal abrution at 22 weeks came into the office to get check out was bleeding alot they risked me out had had me drive myself to UW alone . I still have nightmares . it was the scareest thing ever being at that hosptal alone I treated like an obeject screaming though an increably painful pelic exam and then send home to " see what happens " becuse the babys not vible untill 24 weeks . thye neve gave me the option of working with cindie just said she was full for my due date and never helped me find a new group to work</p>

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
<p>I've been thinking about you a lot.  I think the best suggestion might be to get a good, experienced doula that will accompany you for your labor and birth, as regular, but perhaps you can work out an additional plan where she accompanies you to other stressful things for an agreed cost per hour or something. </p>

·
Registered
420 Posts
<p>Felice Barnow    <a href="http://snabc.com/index.html" target="_blank">http://snabc.com/index.html</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have nothing but wonderful things to say about her and my 8 years experience with her as my midwife, naturapathic Dr. and my son's pediatrician.  I am currently pregnant and have been seeing her for prenatal and had my first preg. and homebirth with her in 2003.</p>
<p>She is extremely knowledgeable and experienced (20 years exp.) and very down to earth and patient.  She takes the time to answer and listen thoughtfully to all my questions and concerns.  She stayed with me 8 or 9 hours during my first home birth, and afterwards I had excessive bleeding that was touch and go about whether to go to the hospital if I possibly had some placental tear- She stayed with me an extra hour to give me some pitocin, vit K, and see if my son's nursing could stop the bleeding.  It did stop and she was then certain that it was not a tear in the placenta- I am so grateful for her going that extra mile for me instead of just shuttling me off to the hospital.  After 15 hrs of labor with a healthy baby and successful birth I definitely did not want to have to go to the hospital after all that.  Also, during the birth, the umbilical cord was wrapped 3 times around my son- she didn't even bat an eyelash or even let on that anything complicated was going on.  She is just really confident, skillful, and excellent with what she does. </p>
<p>She would have gone to the hospital with me.</p>
<p>During labor she stayed in the background and stayed calm and reassuring my whole birth.  She was accessible yet respectful of my space.  She knew exactly what to say during the pushing and transitioning to help me along. I love her!</p>
<p>We've stayed with her for aftercare and my son's regular checkups, well baby visits, etc.  I could answer any questions you might have. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, there is another midwife with her so it depends which one is on call during the birth.  I haven't yet met the new midwife but will soon.  I am hoping that I will have Felice again with my birth in the spring, but I am sure the other midwife must be good if Felice has placed her confidence in her.</p>
<p>I know they have a free initial consultation. </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts