Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking for a while but joined to post some questions. I'm soon to be 44, have a 4 year old and have had three m/c back to back (one with clomid) others and most recent naturally conceived. I went to RE at advice of my OB after last m/c and RE basically gave me the same old story about my age being against me and he recommended I do nothing but what we've been doing. They did labs and my homocystine came back elevated so I'm starting folic acid and having a saline sono done this week, but otherwise he felt it was likely, we wouldn't be successful given my age and past m/c (most recent 12/30). Progesterone and FSH are fine. FSH has never been above 6.

I specifically asked about IVF with pgd because I figured that would help to overcome the chromosome issues that everyone keeps telling me are why I keep m/c even though they have no proof of that (just based on my age). I can't help feeling like he didn't want to deal with me purely based on my age. He said no one does pgd anymore because it doesn't improve outcomes. Wondering if I should get another opinion or am I just kidding myself. Any input greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi - I'm in a very similar situation.
I've also looked into PGD with my RE, and my understanding is that it absolutely does improve outcomes. I think it doesn't improve IVF results - meaning you might not have any better luck with IVF than anyone else doing IVF, but miscarriage rates, once the embryo sticks, are much lower if you're only implanting healthy embryos.

The whole science of PGD seems to be changing extremely rapidly right now, and there are new technologies replacing older ones. I'd try to find an RE who's willing to keep up with the latest research for you. Is there another RE you could consult?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's funny because I live just outside of Pittsburgh and drove into the city for an appointment at supposedly one of the "best" places with its only doctor (Jones Institute affiliate) and while I was sitting there, I felt like he was brushing me off just based on age alone. Not even bothering to consider my hx and labs. I'd done research and thought pgd might help with the repeat m/c issue we're having.

Off to find another doctor.

Thanks so much for input!

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I'm with tinynyota, it's crazy how much it's changing right now.

I'm sorry to hear of your losses, mama.

You're not //that// far away, and I know for a fact that my fertility clinic, Boston IVF, doesn't turn people away based solely on age, and they do IVF with PGD for recurrent loss.

In fact, my RE flat out told me that they're willing to take a hit on their stats to make sure that everyone who wants a chance (and has the money/insurance coverage) gets a chance.

They also do remote monitoring. I went for my original consultation, the day of my retrieval, and the day of my transfer. And I probably could have done the consult over the phone. So, if you planned on 3-4 nights in a hotel in Waltham while doing you IVF, I think it would be totally reasonable to go to them.

I really can't say enough good things about them. They've been really responsive to my concerns, when I had spotting at 5 weeks, they got me in to my local lab for a third hcG draw. When none of my embryos made it to freeze, they were very gentle with me.

Their billing department is a bit of nightmare and they have a lot of 'tude over there, but if you don't have insurance problems or problems paying, it won't be a big deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.