Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great idea for a lactivist t-shirt that I want to make for cafepress. I'm not trying to make money on cafepress, I just do it for fun
I don't mark up the prices. The shirt involves a picture of nursing kittens.. BUT I want to do it legally! I can't just go to google images and find a picture of kittens. I went to a stock photo site and found a great picture, then went to the license agreement and it specifically says that the pictures cannot be used on t-shirts, mugs, posters, etc. So, does anyone have a picture of nursing kittens that you took yourself and wouldn't mind sharing?

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Wish I had a scanner....I have some pics of my cat (from the past) nursing her kittens...they were like 3 1/2 months old. LOL I think in comparison to the other pictures you have that would be "extended breastfeeding" LOL. Definitely a picture those of us on mothering would appreciate....LOL.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Cute! Thanks for the link. That pic was taken shortly before 2 of the kittens went to their new homes at about 12 weeks. Our mama cat continued to nurse the other two that we kept for a while after that too... until they were about 4/5mos. old I think.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
what a cool shirt!

such cute kitty pix, too. purrrrrrrrrr, purrrrrrrrrrrr...

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! I had no idea kittens nursed until 4-5 months. How cool
I always assumed they weaned around 6-8 weeks or so. But I guess thats forced weaning by humans who are adopting them out, eh?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
we kept one out of a litter of kittens- mama had more when grover was 6 months old or so, and when the kittens came, she started nursing again.... booger (mama cat) was fine with it, for the most part

·
Registered
940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I always assumed they weaned around 6-8 weeks or so. But I guess thats forced weaning by humans who are adopting them out, eh?
Yes, and that's still too young
12 weeks is the standard age for weaning; our boys were adopted out when they were 12 weeks old and almost completely weaned. The girls, however, continued to nurse until they were nearly 6 months old. We figure if momma doesn't mind, just let 'em be
:

(and if she does mind, well, she'll usually let them know
)

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Having had the experience raising kittens myself in the past, yep it is. If humans start introducing wet foods to the kittens early on they will start to eat that, that interferes with their nursing and then humans also separate moms from kittens. I remember Sammy nursing hers until they were at least 4or 5 months old. And, she LOVED nursing them...she would stretch out on her side...purring and kneading the whole time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.