Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully those with low sugar content.....

I have a recipe for zucchini bread, but it contains two cups of sugar-for two loaves.

I would love recipes for breads,bars,muffins that have lower sugar content.

Thanks a bunch!

mp

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Here's Cathe Olson's, from MDC. I've made it many times and it's
I also do the basic "bread" part with zucchini bread, banana bread, etc. There's no reason it couldn't be made as muffins, too -- just bake for less time, of course!

Pumpkin Bread

This moist, flavorful bread is perfect for autumn. Vary the sweetener to your taste. The lesser amount of maple syrup makes a bread that goes well with soup or salad; the greater amount of sweetener makes it more of a dessert.

2 eggs
1/3 to 1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/4 cups mashed cooked pumpkin
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat or spelt flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger or cloves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Oil a loaf pan or 8-inch square baking pan. Beat eggs and maple syrup together until smooth. Beat in pumpkin and oil. Stir baking soda into yogurt or buttermilk. Sift flour and spice together. Stir flour mixture and baking soda mixture into pumpkin mixture. Fold in nuts.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake about 75 to 90 minutes for loaf or 45 minutes for square pan, until tester inserted in center of cake comes out dry. Cool completely before slicing.

Makes 16 servings

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
My favourite--well, okay, only--recipe for pumpkin bread comes from allrecipes.com. Serch for 'Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread'--it has stellar reviews and is absolutely delish! Read a few of the reviews for healthier changes if you want; I've made them with half wholemeal flour, some applesauce (homemade) in place of oil or butter, etc. I'm sure allrecipes.com has some pretty good zucchini bread recipes too--it's a great site!

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
My favorite pumpkin muffins that I make all the time are in post #2 of this thread: -Add 1 cup pumpkin (the recipe is missing that part)

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=545075

I make mini-muffins (cook for 10 minutes instead of 20) and I sub 1/2 the oil for ground flax seed so it is 1/4 cup oil 3/4 cup flax seed.

I make these all the time and people rave about them! Even people who hate healthy-ish stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cups brown sugar
2 cups raw zucchini
2 ½ cups flour (whole wheat works great

½ wheat germ (or flour)
3 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 cup walnuts (optional)

Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add oil, zucchini, vanilla, and sugar mix well. Add dry ingredients and nuts. Grease and flour 2 bread pans.

Bake 1 hour at 325. Makes 2 loafs.

Thats my recipe and exactly how I made it last time (orignally calls for TWO cups of sugar!!
: ). If I run into any more zuccini's I'm going to try substituting the sugar for applesauce and maple syrup, as I think it would be quite tasty that way...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I really like the 'Sophie's zucchini bread' recipe at allrecipes.com. It does also use 2c sugar, but I am sure you could reduce it without a problem. I subbed 1/2 whole wheat flour with no problem either. I like that is uses 3 cups of zucchini for the 2 loaves instead of the usual 2. I actually made 1 loaf and a dozen muffins.

I've made it 2 years in a row with great results, but this year I was chicken to lower the sugar amt. because I couldn't remember how it was last year except that I liked it

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sophies...ad/Detail.aspx

I'll have to try Cathe's recipe now though! I love the idea of using both buttermilk and maple syrup for sweetening - YUM!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I made the pumpkin bread recipe I posted earlier, and I wanted to mention that I also use honey, in place of the maple syrup, with great results. I thought the original recipe said "syrup or honey" but in rereading it while baking realized it didn't.

HTH!

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
I just eat it plain... my zuccini bread at least, is really moist and tasty... I suppose it would be pretty good with butter though too... I eat it for breakfast mostly and as a good-for-me desert/snack in the evenings

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wurzelkind View Post
I've always been interested in those veggie breads you americans are eating.

Is it like (dry) cake? Or do you butter it and eat it like an open sandwich?

Please enlighten me
:

They're not usually dry. Many of them are much like cake (especially the ones with 2 cups of sugar!) or muffins -- the recipes for the quick breads and muffins are often the same or very similar. Does that help?

I like butter on mine, OR cream cheese.
But they're good plain too. We eat them mostly as breakfast or brunch, or snacks. In fact, the kids'll probably have some for snack when they wake up -- and, oh, who am I kidding? I probably will too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.