Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted on the learning in school board recently about my daughter's school keeping her in for recess and forcing her to eat. I will be sending a note to the teacher this upcoming week stating that under no circumstances is she to be punished for deciding not to eat her lunch, but I'm looking for links to articles and research surrounding the issue of turning food into a power struggle with children to possibly send along to the teacher.

I just assumed people knew forcing children into eating by taking away their playtime was a bad thing, but apparently not!
:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Have you verified that they are actually keeping her in til she eats?

Maybe she is telling her version of a story???????? I can't imagine that they care if she eats. Maybe that she eats the healthy stuff first, but if she doesn't eat, that's her problem.

Mybe I am being gullible. But, I don't think I have ever heard of that. When the kids don't eat at my dd's school, the lunch witch says "Well, it's your tummy, not mine".

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
we have an awesome doctor and in this case we would ask her to write a note that it is "Medically necessary to allow ____ to regulate her own caloric intake." The ADA says that is the end of that arguement
schools are required to accomidate things like that (you know like being human).

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi,
i'd suggest you look into Ellyn Satter's books, Child of Mine and How to get your child to eat (or something like that). She has had tons of clinical experience with eating disorders. etc, and she is very VERY big on the importance of allowing kids to self regulate their food intake...
good luck

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElizaBird View Post
hi,
i'd suggest you look into Ellyn Satter's books, Child of Mine and How to get your child to eat (or something like that). She has had tons of clinical experience with eating disorders. etc, and she is very VERY big on the importance of allowing kids to self regulate their food intake...
good luck

Yep. Second this one. Satter has some research referenced in her books. Take a look at "How to get your kid to eat...but not too much." Excellent on this point!

·
Registered
745 Posts
The urge to eat is like the urge to use the bathroom....uncontrollable and without external direction. When one starts messing with that they end up with food issues (and bathroom issues, I imagine. Ponder having to urinate and defacate on a schedule, omg, good luck if you missed your poop window
).

Would those teachers keep her inside if DD didn't pee on schedule? Would they not allow her to go to the bathroom if she had to go?

You don't need any scientific studies to argue logic and basic human biology. Those teachers aren't thinking clearly (and may be wack
).

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to everyone for the replies. My mind boggles at the whole thing, although I'm not overly surprised as the teacher seems to have some serious power issues to begin with. I'm going to send a note on Monday just stating that dd is free to eat whatever she wants from her lunch whenever she feels like it and if she doesn't want to eat then she can wait until the next snack time or whatever. I don't understand why it's suddenly an issue as pretty much every parent I've spoken to says their kids come home with half their lunch not eaten anyway.

And after thinking about it, the teacher probably wouldn't read any educational material I sent in anyway. Even after I gave dd's assessment to the school she seems to refuse to believe anything on it. So I doubt she'd read anything else I sent in.

If the teacher puts up a fuss, I work with plenty of doctors and a dietician, so I can give her a collection of notes if she desires

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Would those teachers keep her inside if DD didn't pee on schedule? Would they not allow her to go to the bathroom if she had to go?

).[/QUOTE]

as a teacher, the answer, in some classrooms, is "yes, and "yes".

:/ I always had an "open door" policy, so long as it wasn't being abused-and I knew in advance about the children who might have a medical or emotional issue that required frequent use of the bathroom...sounds odd, but I'd call the parents and ask "Are there any special circumstances I should know about regarding "A" as far as food, allergies, bathroom use, etc." I just knew, especially when we were switching classrooms in the higher grades, that there were some students for whom this was their only chance to go all morning (b/c other teachers enforced the "no bathroom, go during lunch" policy).

I taught 4th-8th grade, so, there WERE children who would try to abuse the policy, but, really, not often. Otherwise, they could just go...(also good as far as girls with Aunt Flo)

As for food, you also have parents who say the opposite...who call the teacher (I've had it happen) and complain that "D" only ate her Twinkie and juice, and why didn't I (mind you, my only "break" of the day, and I sometimes had meetings and whatnot) make sure she ate her sandwich.

Now, having said that, as long as you expressly place, in writing (always in writing, please) that "X" is NOT to be punished for any refusal of food, then, you should be good.

If it persists beyond that, go to the principal, and work your way up from there.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
katheek77,

Thank you very much for your insight. You sound like a very understanding and compassionate teacher.

I guess I'm amazed because I've met with this teacher several times this year, and food has come up before, and I said I didn't make food an issue with dd. If I wanted to get anal about something, there are a million other things I could pick. She has a rough time in school to begin with, and I know she's not the easiest kid to teach..because I've been teaching her longest
But really, you have to pick your battles, especially with her. If she feels a power struggle coming on, she senses your weakness and goes for the throat

Thanks again to everyone for your replies!

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
LOL, too late now, but I would have just told her NEVER to do that again...and not polietly either. You're a better mama than I. She's not even my DD & I wanna yell at her teacher! (I did read your other post too.) But, anyhow, glad it's "noted."
:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
LOL, too late now, but I would have just told her NEVER to do that again...and not polietly either. You're a better mama than I. She's not even my DD & I wanna yell at her teacher! (I did read your other post too.) But, anyhow, glad it's "noted."
:
It's just lucky for me the words I use when talking about this to SO aren't held against me by the public..trust me, yelling wasn't the only thing that crossed my mind

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.