Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to build a garage with apartment on top at my parents.
We are super excited but I could use any and all ideas!!
Its just my hubby, 4 year old son and myself. Plus, 2 cats and 1 dog.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
That sounds fantastic. You should be able to find some plan books with apartments over garages. I would start there. Also make a list of things you must have, a list of wants, and things you don't want. This will help prioritize you in what you are looking for. If you know about how the garage will face remember to think of directions and which way the sun will face. I prefer the kitchen to be in the east for lots of good morning light. The south for living area and I like my bedroom on the west to see the sun set. I think skylights would add a great touch and take advantage of the sloped ceiling too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What kinds of ideas are you looking for?

We currently live in under 300 sq ft with a family of 5 (only 4 of us are here full-time though). I designed our current house and we are doing a lot of the building ourselves. So I might be able to give you some ideas!

My aunt and uncle lived in an over garage apartment when I was little and it had a nice layout that made good use of space.

How big will the garage be? What will it be used for?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, only 300sf! You are a amazing!

It will be around 800sf.
We have no idea were to start.
Who do we call to draw up plans?
I really like a cottage feel, like wood shutter blinds and I we will get alot of stuff from ikea. We want 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen and a big room for us to "live" in. Any ideas would be great!!
Also, what would be a "good" size bedroom. With just bed and closets and not much else going on but big enough to feel roomy. We want the "kid" room even though we cosleep to be big enough for 2 possibly 3 kids.
I found this kitchen I thought was nice. Minus that pig towel holder.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have no ideas, but we have been debating about doing this same thing!! We have about a 1,000 sq foot house now on 6 acres, but feel it's just to big for the 3 of us and our 7 pets...we really want to go smaller and my parents have been talking about building a garage and we mentioned building a living area above for us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.