Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for support for my position on vaxing. I'm not totally opposed to vaxes, but I'm increasingly suspicious of them. Since the CA bill passed essentially forcing parents to vax their kids or move out of the state, I've become more worried that the pro-vax forces, fueled by big-Pharma money will ram more bills through more state legislatures, running roughshod over parental and human rights to refuse medical treatment (vaxes) we deem unnecessary.

The pro-vax forces seem to be gaining strength. For example, my child was in the ER recently, and I had to tell them my child had only a few vaxes. Within a few days, I received a call from my insurance company saying they wanted me to talk to their nurse about my child's health! Coincidence?? I didn't call back, but my suspicion is they were calling about vaxes. (My child was fine, btw, so they could not have been calling about the reason she went to the ER!)

A couple days later, when a different child was having a physical at our previously supportive doctor's office, I was handed a "Refusal to Vaccinate" form to sign. I refused to sign the form (which basically said that I was a negligent parent!), but I left the office unnerved and frightened.

Last week, I had a very disturbing conversation with an official at my child's college, who told me my child had to be fully vaxed, no exemptions allowed, or she could not attend the college!

At my last physical, my doc was pushing Dtap, flu shot and shingles vaxes on me. I refused them all, saying I was getting over a cold, but she was very pushy. Will these become "required" for adults soon?

I've never told a single person in my community about my stance on vaxes. I feel so alone in my choices, yet I have read hundreds of articles and research about vaccines and I am convinced that I am making conservative and rational decisions about my own and my children's health by refusing most vaccines.

I'm not a homeschooler or particularly crunchy. I have come to my conclusions on vaxing because one of my children had a very bad reaction to a vaccine, and after that I started looking critically at vaccines, and I didn't like what I saw. My child recovered, and our pediatrician dismissed the reaction as "normal" (as in seizures are "normal"???), but it scared the S**T out of me!!

In the few times and places I've discussed vaccines with intelligent people, the animosity, anger and absolutely incorrect information they have thrown at me, has cowed me into remaining silent about my opposition to most vaccines.

Can anyone offer support? I'm just trying to find others who feel as I do. I don't read pseudo-scientific anti-vax websites. I stick with "real" science, but I question its conclusions!

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi @zoomom11 -- I am also in Maryland. Did you know that in the legislative session this year, a bill was introduced to eliminate the religious exemption for school attendance? There is a very active, but under the radar, group of Maryland parents that advocate for vaccine choice, and we were able to have the bill pulled in committee. There was another bill introduced that wanted to remove religious exemption for some healthcare workers. That bill was never voted on in committee.

Please PM me and I will give you contact info for a closed FB group that supports Maryland parents who want vaccine choice. We need to stick together :smile:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I have definitely felt that before too. Try to avoid going to the DR if possible (obviously within reason) so you can decompress a bit and gain some levelheadedness before having to return again. Try not to stress about the insurance company calling - we had the same thing happen and it also freaked me out, but it makes sense why they would call - you are missing something that they consider a part of the standard care.

Can you find a different dr? If not I think short answers are always best when in that situation. While it's great to have a educated and intelligent conversation about it, I feel as if most conversations in the Drs office are scare tactics and based on skewed information. Often the more you try to convince the more they will fight you. Take a deep breath and trust yourself. You are making a reasonable decision.

Getting out of the moment and thinking historically is helpful for perspective, this is just a moment in time where people are going to look back and wonder how everyone could have so easily been blind to so many reasonable and obvious conclusions / connections.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
You sound like a very reasonable person, so I bet you know this, but reminders are always nice:

Just because a person at a college says vaccine are required does not make it true. People make assumptions about vaccine rules and talk out of ignorance all the time. A little research may help you put your mind at ease :)

I am sorry you are having such a hard time - take the long view if you can, this too shall pass.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
I think that you do need to connect with at least one person in real life who also has questions about vaccines. The sense of isolation is a huge problem.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Health insurance is nothing more than a business that you pay for. If you have health insurance than you need to pay them and shouldn't be paying a provider. Almost all hospitals will accept you regardless if you don't have health insurance. It's only when a large majority stops paying them where they make it a requirement. It's all business, you have to pay them either way. The same concept goes to universities and dormers, they too need money to operate and maintain structure. You can certainly obtain an education by attending university, you can also obtain education online or through local community.

Lastly, there are a large group of doctors out there that do holistic practice and general. In fact during the CA SB277 there were many doctors and professors with several PHD's that opposed against it. If your doctor is forceful, ask that person what doctors they don't like. Generally the nemesis is the doctor you're looking for.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i am not a homeschooler and i am kind a crunchy, but not die hard. I go through phases where i am more and then less. I try to avoid drs and they don't help me much at all. Vaccines or not. My kids go in from time to time, for allergies or a really bad virus etc. I avoid antibiotics with them as well. Ds only had it one time and dd never. Their dr is okay with not vaccinating. I would suggest looking for a more open minded dr. (I didn't know shingles was even being pitched to those not elderly).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts