Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'm looking for a good vegetarian cookbook. We are not big meat eaters anyways, but I'd like to find some healthy meal options other than just pasta (or rice and beans which we all love but eat ALL THE TIME).

The problems...I am not a very good cook so I'm looking for easy recipes.

And...I don't really like vegetables.
: Growing up my mom mainly served corn and green beans as our vegetable, so I never acquired a taste for veggies. I do eat some now, but I am not too adventurous and sometimes I really have to force them down with a smile in front of my son. I do want to start eating more and a greater variety for my own health and to encourage good eating habits in my son, but having a hard time finding recipes that will help me gradually work into eating new things.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
One of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks is "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison. It's filled with delicious recipes, most of which are extremely simple to make. There's a big section in the front that covers the very basics of vegetable preparation, which I found extremely useful when I was first learning to really cook from scratch. Most of the recipes are European or American in origin, so they're familiar to the US palate.

If you're looking for something a bit more adventurous, Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian" is my other go-to vegetarian cookbook. The recipes are from all over the world, and spicy foods from India, other Asian countries, and African countries are represented prominently. HTH!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Hi Fiorio - you should PM the mod and ask that this thread be moved to Vegetarian and Vegan Living subforum as that is where it belongs and you may get a warning.

Before it does, I'll add that I second the above recommendations and add Vegan Mediterranean Kitchen by Donna Klein, Vegan with a Vengance, the Healthy Hedonist (mostly vegetarian) and the Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas.

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
I like Moosewood too. I also love "Fast Vegetarian Feasts" - this is the one cookbook I will never loan out.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
I always have to rec The Enchanted Broccoli Forest & The Moosewood Cookbook..some of the recipes are just ok but others rock!
Yes - these are two of my favorites. I also like to recommend Almost Vegetarian It's a great "bridge" between meat eating and vegetarianism.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I like all the Moosewood cookbooks, too. I especially like Moosewood Simple Suppers. It's easy stuff that tastes so good.

Occasionally, I want that 70s retro veggie type food (what can I say?
), and for that, I love The Farm Cookbook.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
That Deborah Madison cookbook a pp mentioned is my fave. turtle's fave is Crescent Dragonwagon's Passionate Vegetarian.

My BEST recommendation, though, is to check some out of your library to see what works for you.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VernaBloom View Post
One of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks is "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison. It's filled with delicious recipes, most of which are extremely simple to make. There's a big section in the front that covers the very basics of vegetable preparation, which I found extremely useful when I was first learning to really cook from scratch. Most of the recipes are European or American in origin, so they're familiar to the US palate.
:
I love that cookbook.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby View Post
The Moosewood cookbook is great - and it will make you love veggies!
: best. cookbook. ever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey is my absolute favorite cookbook - and I'm not a vegetarian! It covers just about everything that's meat-free, including beverages. I'd check it out before buying, however. I have a huge supply of Asian and Latin ingredients in my pantry and about 40 herbs & spices at my disposal, so I'm not a typical American. Maybe others would find it daunting, or maybe the ingredients aren't so commonplace?
Anyhow, the recipes are delicious and there's such a wide variety of flavors from all over the globe.

Good luck!
Natalie

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frog View Post
That Deborah Madison cookbook a pp mentioned is my fave. turtle's fave is Crescent Dragonwagon's Passionate Vegetarian.

My BEST recommendation, though, is to check some out of your library to see what works for you.
Gotta second that Passionate vegetarian because it is sooo complete and so many vegetables are covered. I also love Cathe Olson's "The vegetarian mother's cookbook" because of the high calorie/nutritious recipes.

The vegan handbook is awesome too because of it's simplicity and interesting articles. It's really inexpensive used too.

Lisa

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.