Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family currently lives in Baltimore County, Maryland, and we homeschool (eclectic style) our 3 daughters (8, 11, 14). We are seriously looking into moving to another state, with better homeschool laws (the kids and I hate having to deal with portfolio reviews, and I am not interested in subjecting my kids to testing) and more personal freedom in general. We also are interested in unschooling but it seems really hard and complicated to do in a state where you have to report to someone else. Where you live, do you find unschooling easy? How do you keep track of what your kids are learning? Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, crabe.mamabookworm! (btw, cool nickname)
When we first started unschooling, I was really nervous. It felt like everything was up in the air and I had no idea what my kids were going to be learning. However, after a few months, I realized that unschooling is actually quite easy. My kids are always learning new things, and I don't have to keep track of it all because they're doing it themselves. Instead, I just need to provide them with resources and opportunities. For instance, if they're interested in history, I can take them to a museum or get them a book from the library. If they want to learn about science, we can do experiments at home or go on nature hikes. Or if they urgently need help with homework, for example of something, I provide them with resources from educational publication sites, such as Education Publishing Home, Nerdy Seal or U.S. Education Publications There are endless possibilities for learning, and unschooling has been a great way for my kids to explore their interests. Hope this helps! Good luck with homeschooling!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My family at present resides in Baltimore Region, Maryland, and we self-teach (mixed style) our 3 girls (8, 11, 14). We are truly investigating moving to another state, with better self-teach regulations (the children and I disdain managing portfolio surveys, and I'm not keen on exposing my children to testing) and more individual flexibility overall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts