Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if this was said before but the excuse to having the circumcision done is to look like the father seens rather funny to me because didn't there have to be that first generation where the fathers and sons didn't match because circumcision was just taking off and pretty much no adult was circumcised and all the kids were. So pretty much what i'm saying is that the kids of the 70s looked nothing like their fathers, but I guess they came out o.k. This is where it get funny. Most of them dont even know their dad wasn't circumcised yet they impose ot on their kids thinking that there dads were circumcised, when they weren't.

So if those parents were to come out and say they weren't wouldn't it make that excuse obsolete? (This might of been confusing because tis straight from my head and I think abstractly).

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
the history of it is that after wwi and especially wwii, the troups had been circumcised- lots of them, anyway- and indoctrinated that it was a good thing. for the std, you're a traitor if you get an std from a whore thing.... then when they were back, some cut some not, hospitals started to be the place where babies were born and doctors started cutting them automatically- without asking. the dads didn't object - even if they could've- but they didn't because they were indoctrinated to believe circ was good. so some matched some didn't and there for at least 30 years, it was automatically done. so matching was not an issue, and pretty soon an intact man was a rarity.

·
Registered
929 Posts
And now it's pretty much the other way around, the excuse is that the son will want to match the father, but it's really the father wants his son to match him; they can't bear the thought that what was done to them was BAD, so they do it to their sons to validate what was done to them.

Intact men had nothing to prove, had no idea what it was like, so allowed their sons to be cut.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I've thought the same thing myself about the generation of sons not matching their fathers.

We were fortunate in my family, at least on my fathers side. Ric never took hold. My grandfather was intact (and persumably his father too considering he would have been born in rural Scotland, probably homebirthed in the late 1800's) so was my dad and my brother.

I was also fortunate that dh could care less if ds matched him or not. He's not very open to the idea that something bad happened to him, but the fact that it's no longer considered nessisary was enough for him to agree not to cut our son.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Quote:
the excuse is that the son will want to match the father, but it's really the father wants his son to match him
of course, and frankly - this is the most disgusting reason out there. the idea that these guys need to slice up their son's genitals because it was done to them has got to stop. and for these cases, the MOM has to be the one to lay down the law. unfortunately, as we've seen too often recently, the moms just aren't rising to the occasion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My husband did try to give me that excuse back when we had just found out we were having a boy. I told him to come back with some concrete medical reason for it and than we would talk about it. He never could find anything and now he is SUPER anti circumcision! And my son and husband have the most amazing bond...imagine that...being able to have such a closeness and NOT have mirror image genitals. What a shocking thought. *shaking head*

·
Registered
925 Posts
Another vote for the dads wanting the babies to look like them to validate their own circumcision. They don't want to admit something is wrong with them (which is kinda sad considering most of our DHs who are circed were done so without parental consent).

But the little boy isn't going to look like his dad regardless of a circumcision so it is a stupid argument anyway. My DH has a lot of scarring from a bad circ, should I have insisted the doc gave my son the same scars? (my son is intact btw)

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getz View Post
Another vote for the dads wanting the babies to look like them to validate their own circumcision. They don't want to admit something is wrong with them (which is kinda sad considering most of our DHs who are circed were done so without parental consent).
My DH is the only circ'd one in his family (MIL was a very recent immigrant to Canada, and wasn't informed enough to fight it like she did for his younger brother.) He wanted DS circ'd. I think it's hard for him being the odd man out, and if we got DS circ'd (I said no) he would have felt lee different. I can't totally know for sure b/c it's hard to get men to talk about these things.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I actually had a pediatrician at a lecture tell all the parents that if one child was circ'd all other children absolutely had to be as well and that it was akin to child abuse NOT to... how can a doctor actually say something so completely idiotic.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ygle View Post
I actually had a pediatrician at a lecture tell all the parents that if one child was circ'd all other children absolutely had to be as well and that it was akin to child abuse NOT to... how can a doctor actually say something so completely idiotic.
It comes down to MONEY $$$$ they don't make money and for 10 min of work at $250.00+ why would they not try to convience parents to cut. If they got as much money talking parents out of it our circ rates in the US would be a lot lower.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Little boy penises do NOT look like adult penises... They simply don't. Cut or not... It's a completely different thing post-puberty.

Fortunately my (cut) DH is anti-circ (no boys yet), and my (cut) father had 2 intact sons.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Also, the new style of loose circs look nothing like the tight ones in our generation. So, the whole argument is baseless.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Uh... idk if this a weird thing to bring up, but father and sons and brothers can have different glans (shapes: mushroom, strawberry, acorn; colours: bubblegum pink, beige, brown, blueish tint, purple, strawberry) and testicles (the type that look like to little robin's eggs in a loose low-hanging skin sack, the type that look like large boulders in a tight skin sack).
It's... uh, true.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getz View Post

But the little boy isn't going to look like his dad regardless of a circumcision so it is a stupid argument anyway. My DH has a lot of scarring from a bad circ, should I have insisted the doc gave my son the same scars? (my son is intact btw)
That reason is always so absurd to me. My dh is circ'd and if we ever have a boy he will remain intact. My dh doesn't get the whole "have him look like daddy" argument either.
: I mean, I don't alter my girls so they'll look like me. Why do it for boys? And if my dh doesn't feel that way, why do other men?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piercedboy View Post
he still won't look like me because our piercer won't do that to a kid.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Ummm.... this is so stupid. Are you going to dye your kids hair if it is blonde and yours is brown? Get him a nose job if his nose is different than his dads?
Our children are not our clones.
Ugh.
Emilie

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
My dh is VERY VERY happy that he doesn't look like his father in that respect. So am I
And I've never heard of an intact man who complained about not being circumcised because his father was
It's pretty obvious to me that it's about the father's comfort and not at all about the son's.

love and peace.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.