Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old Bullmastiff. I've had her since she was 4 months. She has always had softish stools. She was on Purina One Large Breed (chicken based). I switched her about 3 weeks ago to Nature's Recipe Adult (lamb based). She now is having super loose stools, almost diarrhea. It looks pretty much like diarrhea, but she is still only going about 2x per day, so it doesn't seem like it is caused by illness. Is this caused by an allergy of some sort? How do I go about figuring out what is causing this?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
So she's only been on those two foods? Is she well bred? Have you contacted her breeder? Good breeders usually have very specific feelings about good or bad brands and what works well for their dogs, so it's important (if she is carefully bred) to ask the breeder.<br><br>
Otherwise, I'd say that you've now used a relatively icky food and a slightly better but still only mid-range food. You've got a long way up to go. I'd switch her to a true super-premium ADULT food, NOT lamb, and see if that helps. Look at Canidae, Solid Gold, some of the Wellness formulas, etc.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, she has only been on those two foods. She seems decently bred, but not from top show stock. I didn't think to contact her breeder. I've never actually met them, because my dad purchased her for me when he bought his female.<br><br>
I will check out the food brands you mentioned. Anything specific that I should look for or shy away from or would any of the formulas from those brands be good?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
If the breeder let you buy a dog without meeting you, don't worry about contacting the breeder (unfortunately, that's a cardinal sign of a not-good breeder).<br><br>
Now that we know that the breeder was not great, there are a bunch of things that should be checked. Have you had a recent fecal done? Parasites and coccidia can cause persistent loose stool.<br><br>
The thing to look for in a food is meat listed first, two meat ingredients in the first three, human-grade meats used, no byproducts, no fillers like beet pulp.<br><br>
The very best diet is raw (see my signature) but she'll do OK on a good kibble. I would still recommend a fecal exam, though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I don't think he was all that great, but I don't know if my dad even told him that the dog wasn't for him. He bought two of them (sisters) and gave one to me. I haven't had a recent fecal. I don't think I can dedicate myself to the Raw diet right now, but I definitely will seek out better food. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked for the 3 brands of food you recommended, but none of them were carried at my Petsmart. Where should I try looking for them? I don't think we have any specialty feed stores nearby. The closest thing Petsmart had was a food called Blue, but I wasn't sure if it was any good, so I decided to come home and research more.<br><br>
I read your RAW site and it makes a lot of sense and doesn't sound as hard as I had imagined. Now I'm intrigued and would like to read more on feeding raw. Any sites you recommend? Any site that would lay out around how much I would be feeding my Bullmastiff? My biggest fear is doing something wrong and not realizing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts