Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I already posted in working mamas, but I thought I'd tell my due-date buddies here too. I was told yesterday that I should make arrangements to wrap up my projects in the next week or 2. I honestly wasn't planning on coming back anyway (going to get my counselor certification), so it's not as huge as it would be otherwise; but the extra 5 months of no income is going to be hard to deal with. I've contacted some legal temp agencies and some SW temp agencies, along with some other hopeful news, and have had bites already; so I'm not getting too down yet!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Oh, Kristen!
That's rough!!! I'm so sorry!

I lost my job when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with Jude. The first day when I found out was by far the hardest. It got easier after that. It turned out to be a real blessing though, because while unemployment checks didn't cover all the money that I made, it was enough to get by.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, I've been wondering if I'll be able to get unemployment, because being pregnant and not able to take a full-time permanent job, I'm not "adequately attached to the workplace." Guess you've answered that question!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
as long as you call in every week and say that you've actively looked for a job, you can get unemployment. (ok that's a bit simplistic, i mean if the other stuff about your previous job makes it appropriate - worked there long enough, etc...but as far as your pregnancy is concerned it is a non-issue. they're not legally allowed to deny you that right when you're pregnant).

i'm in PA and that's how it is here...i see that you're in PA too...

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
here's some info from a site on Pennsylvania unemployment compensation:

Q: If you are pregnant, can you collect unemployment compensation?
A: Yes. The same rules apply to pregnant women as apply to everyone else. However, pregnancy is not considered good cause to voluntarily quit a job. If you choose not to work because you are pregnant, you cannot receive unemployment compensation. However, if your company fires you because of your pregnancy (and you are "able and available" for work), you can receive unemployment compensation. You can continue to receive your unemployment compensation benefits after the child is born if you are able and available to work.

i hope that helps!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Awww - that sucks! Hopefully some of the temp stuff will turn up for you. It's really stressful to not have that extra cash but maybe it can be a little "practice" for when the baby is here? Sometimes it's actually easier to adjust to a lower income before they come rather than after and all the stress of a new baby. I know that's the sunny side though. The flip side is the sleepless nights!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your support, everyone!

Girrllie, the big problem is that once the baby is here I was going to be taking 2 classes, so I could put my student loans on a deferrment status - my loans constitute the bulk of my income and I'm not comfortable with forbearance status. Since I can't defer yet, we're pretty much short that amounts.

I am honestly feeling confident that something will work out, and if not, I'll at least claim unemployment until the baby comes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts