Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not worried, as there was no red/pink/green color, but is it normal to lose a bit of plug this early?

I never lost my plug my first pregnancy, so I'm not 100% sure it actually was part of the plug, but I know that it absolutely was not discharge and I do not have any sort of yeast or other vaginal infection.

I'm 19 weeks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm also 19 weeks. The other day noticed a lot of mucus that looked like egg white cervical mucus from when I ovulate. Is that what you saw? This is my first time, so I have no experience with this...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Bits of plug can fall off. Within 48-72 hours they will have regenerated. I'd avoid sex, baths or anything going into the vagina until the 72 hours is up.

Also, just because it affected me, unless there's been a vaginal culture done there's no way to know if any infection is present. Many infections have no symptoms.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
You'll know when its your plug, this early on is most likely just mucus. The plug is very thick snotty and tinged with red or pink...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I don't remember ever losing my plug with dd, either. I just all the sudden was in labor, lol.

I've been extra-mucous-y, though (sorry TMI), not just cervical mucous but in my sinuses, too. Seriously thought I had an amniotic fluid leak for a while there, also. I think it's normal to have more fluids/mucus discharge during pregnancy, as long as you're not noticing anything else that concerns you (like cervical pain or bleeding or whatever).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have had more egg-white-y mucus here and there this pregnancy, so that could be it. I also had 3 rounds of asymptomatic yeast infections with DD that were only caught because of an exam.

However, if it looked like you blew your nose into the toilet or panties (TMI) even if there is no blood, I would call your provider TODAY. I know two women in their second trimester for whom loosing the plug was an early warning sign of preterm labor. One ignored the signs and ended up in more difficult medical situation as a result, so I personally would rather be on the safe side. If you do end up going in, they can also check for any asymptomatic infections that might be lurking.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momma2DoubleCuties View Post
You'll know when its your plug, this early on is most likely just mucus. The plug is very thick snotty and tinged with red or pink...
I wanted to add that the plug does not have to be blood-tinged. A clear/whiteish plug is also normal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, but it was definitely not discharge, it was a solid, offwhitish glob of what looked like old glue, Haha. (TMI) I rubbed it in my fingers a bit and it never evaporated/lost mass. It was pretty gross lol.

And I just had a pap with my OB less than 2 weeks ago, and no infections.

·
Registered
513 Posts
sorry but what you described sounds like discharge to me. There are all kinds of discharge and your body is going to make some strange things you've never seen before. Plug would be very mucousy and thick and slimy and usually brownish, dark yellow, or pink or bloody not white.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amynf1 View Post
sorry but what you described sounds like discharge to me. There are all kinds of discharge and your body is going to make some strange things you've never seen before. Plug would be very mucousy and thick and slimy and usually brownish, dark yellow, or pink or bloody not white.
Plugs can be clear or white, too. Especially if just a little of it came out and is not a result of dilation (which causes the blood due to capillaries breaking). My plug was clear with white streaks.

OP, if you are concerned, give your provider a call. Although, it can be normal for small amounts to pass and it will regenerate, as PP said.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have lost a TON of mucus this time around, it was very disconcerting in the beginning, I mean large globs and strings of it! Last time that never happened so I was worried but midwife has assured me it's totally normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.