Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

So last night my OH told me I should lose some weight, which I know I should but I'm just finding it so hard to At the moment to stick to any diets!

I'm also worried about when I do get preg how much weight I will put on! It terrifies me to think I could get even bigger and then find it harder to lose all that weight as well.

I am 5'7 and weigh 183lbs. When I first meet my OH I was about 28-30lbs lighter now. Ideally I would love to lose that and then be preg but I do not want to stop TTC in the mean time.

Basically I was just wondering does any other people have problems with there weight while TTC ? And for people that have already had a baby, did you put on much weight ? Have you managed to get it off ?

· Registered
154 Posts
HI! Before conceiving my son, I weighed 140 (5'7"). During my pregnancy, I gained about 70 pounds. I ate well, not a lot of junk food or sugar, just what my body needed. After the birth, I lost the weight gradually. I don't know if breastfeeding helps or inhibits weight loss, but I know the most important thing is to eat nutritious food to make good milk. Now 18 months later, I am at 165 and hoping to get down to my prepregnancy weight while we are attempting to conceive #2. I'm doing Jazzercise twice a week, walking/running when my schedule allows, and leaving out the sugar and flour. I'm making steady progress.
I encourage you to exercise to get healthy and build up your stamina. Pregnancy takes a lot of work, not to mention labor (marathon!). There is a risk for more complications the heavier a woman is when pregnant. So just get healthy. Oh, and never diet while pregnant!

· Registered
1,491 Posts
hi, we are ttc #2 and i am trying to lose weight also. We have been ttc for 9 cycles now, I did have a chemical pregnancy at the end of september, but i can tell you that since ttc i have had weight issues, as i also think i am hungry and i would allow myself to eat whatever i wanted. Well i had to stop the madness. Feb 2009 i weighed 165, and Jan 2010 when i decided to lose the weight i was 179, which is pretty high for me. I am also about your height 5'8" so i think we have a harder time noticing when 5 lbs creeps up on us as we have more room for it to spread around, kwim? Anyway, I put my foot down and decided i need to quit worrying about being pregnant and focus on my health. I didn't want to stop ttc as we have been trying for so long and i am afraid we may miss our window of opportunity, so we are doing both. I restarted Eat to Live, which is a pretty dramatic lifestyle change, but I need it. So far I have lost 13 lbs in 5 weeks i'm now at 166, and I plan to keep losing until i get to my ideal weight of 135-140 or I get pregnant again.

As far as weight gain, with my ds, I started at a pre-pregnancy weight of 166, and didn't really gain much until the 6th month and then I ended up gaining 47 lbs, I ate anything i wanted at the time, I was still eating beef and was in college and newly married so i was eating fast food a lot. I don't foresee gaining that much next time around because my eating is more improved, escpecially in the past 5 weeks, and i plan to stick with it during the pregnancy. I hope while eating healthfully and exercising regularly to gain 25lbs next time around, but only time will tell.

If you want we could be ttc/weight loss buddies! I know there used to be a thread like that here in ttc forum or in the weight loss forum, but i haven't seen it for many months!

· Registered
3,028 Posts
Hi,
I am 5'7" and was 168 when I got pregnant with #1, the only time we ever had sex on an O day (we used NFP as BC but I hurt my back that month apparently the vicodins marred my judgement, opps). Anyways, I gained 62 pounds, so I was a plump 230 when I gave birth. Ouch. BUT I lost over 70 pounds the first year by breastfeeding with no dieting. Then I got pregnant again around 155 and gained...60 pounds again...and by about 14 months I lost it all plus some and was down to 145. SOOOOOO I would breastfeed if you want a boost in weight loss.

Also, whenever someone asks me snarkingly when I'm going to stop nursing my 19 month old, I always say... "as soon as I'm a size 6".... LOL

· Premium Member
13,827 Posts
I am 5 foot 8

Pre-DS i was 140 lbs

Post-DS i was 160 and got up to 180 thanks to untreated hypothyroidism (once treated i stopped gaining but didnt lose)

Post-DD i was 210 and got up to 220 due to hypothyroidism (being treated but not well enough)

I dropped from 220 to 212 while originally TTC... but had gotten back up to 222 pre-PG... in the first tri I have lost 5 lbs... and my midwife does not want me putting on more than 30 from my pre-pg weight so Im glad that gives me the 5 lb buffer... i can gain 35 from here without a problem but still going to aim for 30

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post
Hi,
I am 5'7" and was 168 when I got pregnant with #1, the only time we ever had sex on an O day (we used NFP as BC but I hurt my back that month apparently the vicodins marred my judgement, opps). Anyways, I gained 62 pounds, so I was a plump 230 when I gave birth. Ouch. BUT I lost over 70 pounds the first year by breastfeeding with no dieting. Then I got pregnant again around 155 and gained...60 pounds again...and by about 14 months I lost it all plus some and was down to 145. SOOOOOO I would breastfeed if you want a boost in weight loss.

Also, whenever someone asks me snarkingly when I'm going to stop nursing my 19 month old, I always say... "as soon as I'm a size 6".... LOL
I definitely agree, breastfeeding, especially extended breastfeeding helps a lot in weight loss. I was about 195 after having ds and with breastfeeding and light excersizing(walking 1-2 miles 3 days a week) I got down to about 175 at about 12 months postpartem, I then decided to try eat to live and got down to 149 while breastfeeding/doing eat to live and no exersizing. It is also possible that i regained some weight after I stopped breastfeeding ds at 28 months and my weight started creeping up around then and then about 4 months later we started ttc#2 again, so once you stop breastfeeding, you have to restrict your calories some, or you'll start putting more weight on again, like i did, gah. But I can say that breastfeeding definitely aided in getting the weight off. I don't think it was just the exersizing or just the eating healthier, but the combination of them all that helped me lose weight. Now I'm not breastfeeding and doing eat to live and going to the gym doing cardio 5 hours a week and I am losing weight at about the same rate as i was when i first was doing eat to live with no added cardio and breastfeeding. So I definitely think breastfeeding helped me the first time around in losing weight.

· Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your replys. This Thurim going to join Slimming world, its the only 'diet' you can do and still be pregnant over here, aproved by health care i think..

ILoveMyBabyBird - I think being ttc/weight loss buddies would be a great idea! would give motivation if i had to post my weight!
should we make a new thread? orr......

· Registered
123 Posts
One of the stipulations my DH put on me before we could TTC was that I get to a healthy weight. I'm 5'5" and was 195. I joined Weight Watchers last summer and am down to 158 right now. I'm maintaining, but kind of fell of the wagon after my holiday break. I'm hoping to get back on it this week. I can't speak highly enough about the WW program - it's easy to follow and works! If you doctor or midwife is familiar with the program, they can tell you what to add when you are pregnant - WW does not allow pregnant women to stay on the program, but they do have adjustments if you are a nursing mother.

· Registered
183 Posts
I'm 5'6, 180lb and 4w pregnant with #2. I would like to weigh less, but really I'm okay with being pregnant at this weight. I know that I'll need to eat well and keep active during the pregnancy. I plan on starting prenatal yoga once the second trimester starts.

With #1 I was 190 at the start of the pregnancy. I lost about 10lb in the first trimester because of MS (which pretty much lasted all day), and 10lb in the second trimester due to the flu. In the end my total weight with baby was 210. About a week after I had the baby I was down to 165.

I ended up gaining much of that weight back, but like MAE, I too was dealing with an undiagnosed hypothyroid.

So, it you want to lose weight first go ahead, but if you're otherwise generally health I don't think that your weight should stop you from having a baby. For me pregnancy was kind of a hormone equalizer and honestly I've never felt better in my life than while I was pregnant with # 1. I hope that it's the same this time around.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
As long as you go about losing weight in a healthy way. I recommend "The Fertility Diet" book. If your over weight, losing even a little will really increase your chances of conceiving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.