Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my first pregnancy I lost somewhere around 10-15 lbs in the beginning of my pregnancy. I started eating better and drinking more water, and I'm fluffy to begin with so it seemed reasonable to me that I'd lose some. I ended up gaining enough by the end, and the OB I saw for the first half of my pregnancy wasn't concerned.<br><br>
This time around, I have lost about 6 or 7 lbs so far, and at my 12w appt last week my MW was VERY displeased. I've had no appetite and have generally not felt like eating, and again when I do eat I am trying to eat more fruits and veggies and good protein, and I'm drinking more.<br><br>
So, is weight loss in the first trimester a big deal? How worried do I need to be? I've been eating cheese sticks and avocados, but it's so against my habits to be trying to GAIN weight! She wants me to come back at 14 weeks to make sure I haven't lost anymore... Not sure what will happen if I have.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i've lost at least a good 10 lbs in the first tri of each of my pregnancies.. like you, due to eating better (and also some barfing LOL) and some food aversions.<br><br>
my first midwife (the one i had with my DS) wasn't concerned AT ALL.. however, the midwife i had with my DD immediately wanted me on drugs to stop the barfing and increase my appetite. (i declined the drugs)<br><br>
personally, i think that's just part of the way my body acts when preggo. i'm not worried at all!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I am losing weight as well, about 10 lbs. I HATE food. When I can eat, I eat anything that looks good no matter if it is not wonderful for me as I need the Caleries badly and anything that will stay down is better then nothing in me at all. I am also fluffy. 185 lbs fluffy. I told my mid-wife about all this last week and she was PLEASED! Why? Because I was spotting and passed a few clots the week before and having pregny symptoms at this point is a good thing! She thinks I will snap out of it soon and be eating like a horse soon enough. I have a full month from last appointment before I see her again.<br><br>
I lost with my son was well, over 25 lbs and then gained it back plus ten more by the time he was born. I am not too worried about the weight, more so about how little I can manage to eat right now.<br><br>
Blessings,<br>
Kimmy

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Are you thin or underweight now so that 6-7 pounds is a concern?<br><br>
I don't think it's a problem. I lost with both my older boys due to hyperemesis. It is a concern if you feel you're malnourished. But if you think it's a weight loss more because you're eating better foods, i don't think it's a huge problem.<br><br>
I initially gained maybe three pounds by 6-7 weeks. I have lost 1.5 of that now at 9 weeks because I had a couple of really tough weeks. But no huge amounts of weight to note, and I can definitely spare some poundage!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts