Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'5" and I went from 153 lbs to 136 lbs in the last 2 months. My husband suddenly separated me while I had pneumonia. The stress and illness seriously reduced my appetite and that's how I lost most of it.

Now I'm calorie counting to continue losing about a lb a week (1350 calories/day). I'm eating waaaaay less than usual, partly made easier by my stomach shrinking I assume. Also made easier by not cooking complicated meals for dh.

I'm worried that once I stop being stressed my appetite will ramp up and I'll gain it all back. I've bought a few new items of clothing and I don't want to go back to being slightly overweight again. My life really sucks right now and I want to hold onto the silver lining of slimming down and getting positive feedback on my appearance. I haven't weighed this little in over a decade and I can actually wear size medium clothing now. The clothing aspect is big as I can't afford to buy and I don't have the room to store multiple sizes.

Suggestions on how to keep it off? I'm trying to emphasize animal proteins and lots of veggies as that seems to work for my body.

· Registered
6,472 Posts
I'm so sorry that your life is so stressful right now.

I'm another one who gains weight on grains. Right now, as far as grains go, I am pretty much only eating that sprouted grain bread and occasionally some soaked oatmeal. I eat lots of veggies, too. Getting enough fat and vitamins is huge for me. I eat lots of butter and coconut oil.

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Have you tried yoga? When I was going thru relationship stress I found that yoga especially (& running as well, but yoga seemed to be able to get me to dig deeper within myself for strength if that makes sense) saved me b'c it forces you to coordinate breath, mind & body. And if you're spiritual, its a beautiful way to get clear so that you can have a more open "flow" with divinity. Thats when my answers & inspiration would come rolling in.

· Registered
3,064 Posts
Ouch. I'm sorry.

My advice would be to find out what the maintenance calories are for your CURRENT weight--like I just put it in to a calculator online and said that you were 5'5", 136 pounds, had "light activity" because I don't know about your exercise, but you do have children, and put in 35 as your age, though I'm not sure of your age either! But I came up with 1775 calories/day to maintain your current weight. I would try to maintain my current weight for two weeks. I would weigh daily (which ordinarily isn't recommended, but here it seems like a good idea.) Once you are convinced you can maintain your current weight, I'd work on losing more if that is your goal.

According to a resource online, your desirable weight (if you have a medium frame) for your height is between 121 and 135. But you are WELL within your healthy BMI.

Once again, I'm really so sorry about your situation.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

My maintenance calories are 1850/day but I'm doing 500 less a day in order to lose approx 1 lb per week.

I've haven't been exercising in recent years and working on incorporating that. I've started short runs and want to start short weightlifting routines. I LOVE yoga, but classes are hard because it gets really time-consuming with travel time. I think I'd like to start doing some yoga DVDs.

Exercise can be tricky for me because it hugely increases my appetite, beyond the calories that get burned. I know it's good to increase my metabolism and I feel like I can use that right now. I'd like to figure out how to exercise in a way that doesn't overstimulate my appetite.

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flowmom View Post
consuming with travel time. I think I'd like to start doing some yoga DVDs.

Exercise can be tricky for me because it hugely increases my appetite, beyond the calories that get burned. I know it's good to increase my metabolism and I feel like I can use that right now. I'd like to figure out how to exercise in a way that doesn't overstimulate my appetite.
It's great that you know this about yourself. I would avoid intense long amounts of cardio in that case. Sprints etc are good.

A yoga dvd would be a great way to get some muscle toning without making you super hungry, and it's great for stress. I definitely recommend practicing yoga!

· Banned
11,542 Posts
i also recommend the yoga DVDs. also, it would be helpful to know what your goal weight is (for you).

personally, if your regular needs are about 1850, then i would slowly increase calories with appetite to about 1650, and then up to 1850 as your body starts to rebalance. this is partly a hormonal situation as well.

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had in mind 125 lbs. I think on me that would be normal weight but attractively slim.

· Registered
3,064 Posts
That's very true, and it will take a lot of discipline to get there, and that may help you to feel fantastic. My dance teacher was in a similar situation to you. She dropped about 50 though and nobody recognized her. She has remained thin.

· Banned
11,542 Posts
so, you are looking at about 11 more lbs. 1 lb a week is an easy weight loss process.

over the next few weeks, don't worry too much about loss but rather balancing your calories coming in with your exercise. try to increase your calories by about 100 per week over the next 5 weeks, while also adding in exercise to "cover" those 100 calories. It's not much really--walking a mile would do it.

right now, the deficit of calories is what could lead to the weight coming back on later. the goal here is really to come into a balanced place with food--find the right amount of calories for your metabolic rates, and then what you need for the level of exercise that you want.

a yoga video, a one mile walk a day, those are about 100 calories. if you get to 1850--your basic metabolic needs--and then do your video, then you will find that your body will balance out at just about the right weight.

that weight may be anywhere between 120 and 130, but the idea is that it is healthy for your body to balance out. you need your hormones!

· Registered
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK zoebird, thanks for explaining the strategy. I understand better what you mean. That's also working on a healthier lifestyle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.