Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of the family was traveling from the Dakotas last week after working two weeks straight on oil rigs and was on his way home for a 2 week break. He was a passenger taking turns driving to Montana. The driver was going over a dangerous pass around 65-70mph. The driver was texting, and rounded a corner and came up on a semi. When he looked up, it was too late to react and there wasn't much room to maneuver. The driver and our dear friend died. The 2nd passenger is in critical condition and it's touch and go for him. Please pray for the family of our friend. He had to leave behind a wife, a 4 year old, and a 2 year old. Because this person felt the need to BS while driving, his kids will miss out on a wonderful father, a son will be missed, a husband is not coming home to hold his wife, and a dear friend will always be remembered. PLEASE don't text and drive!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, ladies. I mostly posted to alert you of the dangers of texting and driving. Alot of people text and drive and think that nothing will happen to them because "they are careful." The funeral is this week, and I won't be attending because I have no one to watch the kids, but please pray for the family.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
What a tragic, unnecessary loss. I am so sorry.

And I am so grateful that they have passed distracted driving laws here, because texting and driving is just as dangerous, if not moreso, than impaired driving :(

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post

What a tragic, unnecessary loss. I am so sorry.

And I am so grateful that they have passed distracted driving laws here, because texting and driving is just as dangerous, if not moreso, than impaired driving :(
Exactly. There are no-texting laws here in Montana as well, but I still see more than 50% of drivers texting. Cops need to pay more attention, and though this is sad, I hope the State of Montana uses his tragic death as an example of why not to text and drive.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That's so horrible, I'm sorry :( This is something I'm constantly terrified of. It only takes looking down at a one word text. Just one word. I try to convince my husband not to even have his phone ON while driving, but I can't. He just doesn't think it will happen to him.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I keep my phone in my purse in the back seat. I'm very short,s o short of unbuckling and climbing halfway out of my seat, I can't get it (My vehicle is a 5-speed so it;s a little tougher to turn attention away from the task of driving). DH puts his on silent and puts it in the centre console. If we are driving together, he'll just leave it and ask me to answer it if it rings.

I dont' get the appeal of texting and driving. What could possibly be so important? If it's being relayed via text message as opposed to phone call, my bet is that the discussion s not a high priority. Such a shame.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post

I keep my phone in my purse in the back seat. I'm very short,s o short of unbuckling and climbing halfway out of my seat, I can't get it (My vehicle is a 5-speed so it;s a little tougher to turn attention away from the task of driving). DH puts his on silent and puts it in the centre console. If we are driving together, he'll just leave it and ask me to answer it if it rings.

I dont' get the appeal of texting and driving. What could possibly be so important? If it's being relayed via text message as opposed to phone call, my bet is that the discussion s not a high priority. Such a shame.
Studies actually show that a hands free cell device is just as deadly as texting. The part of your brain used to comprehend words and sentences is the same part of your brain that comprehends when to stop/go how far ahead of you that car is, etc. If you are using that part of your brain to be on the phone in any way shape or form, you are not driving safely.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
I'm not advocating talking and driving either. What I was getting at is if it was so important, pull over to speak to the person.

·
Registered
101 Posts
mecry.gif
That is SO, SO, SO sad. It seems that it's only going to get worse with all of the just touch screen phones that people use when driving and need to LOOK AT when they are going 60 or 70 miles so that they know what they're typing. :( It's a shame that it is so hard to patrol this since most cops cant see it from their cars (except at night)... I'm so sorry to hear about that poor family :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Sometimes I need the wake-up call. I am bad at talking and driving, and rarely text, but that "rarely" still counts. I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing especially since I have a new little on the way. I do notice that when people are on the phone, they drive more recklessly, move into lanes when there is not enough room, etc. Thanks for the reminder and sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I lost two distant cousins last year, both 21, in different car accidents. The first was alone and I wonder if texting may have been the reason - the family didn't disclose. The second cousin was an unbuckled back middle seat passenger in a car driven by an "undesignated" driver. I am so careful when I drive and while I do sometimes talk on the phone, I never text. It's sad that so many people have to die before others start to make changes in their lives. I will certainly try to not even talk on the phone from now on when I'm driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.