Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my mucous plug a few days ago.
I lost it early with dd as well, with her it was at 32 weeks. My MW has this EDD for Nov 3rd, which I've been concerned about (my cycles were strange but I know what the conception day was) when I calculate it I get 10-31. Normally I could care less but my homebirth MW will not attend births before 37 weeks, dd was born right at 38 weeks. Nor will she move the date up, I have always thought this babe would come mid-Oct. Last time I walked around for months dilated, and I'm sure since I've lost my plug that I'm dilating already. I have a call into another MW who was supposed to stop practicing and wouldn't take me when I was looking a couple months but might now. Anyway she will attend births from 36 weeks on. I'm definately not opposed to a UC, DH is, and while he wouldn't stop me, he wouldn't exactly help me in anyway either.

·
Registered
521 Posts
to you.

You wouldn't UC the baby before 37 weeks would you? Or do you mean you think your actual due date being around mid-October you could UC by the end of September but your midwife won't?

I hope all works out for you & babe

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
The mucous plug constantly replenishes itself.
I lost mine with my daughter at 32 weeks, went to 41. Lost it again BIG TIME the night I went into labour with her.
Lost mine with my son around 28-29 weeks and then lost huge, HUGE globs on a daily basis from then until I had him at 34 weeks.

Losing your plug really doesn't mean you're anywhere close to labour. It just means it either got dislodged or you're a big dilated/effaced (like, to 1-2). Which is also very normal at this stage of pregnancy, particularly if you've had more than one child before. Don't work yourself up.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
I thought I read that you can re-grow/develop the mucus plug. I don't think you need to worry yet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I lost mine at 22 weeks after my cerclage was placed, I'll be 27 weeks tomorrow. My Dr was not concerned and said that it replenishes itself and is not an indicator of impending labor.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soccermominsd
You wouldn't UC the baby before 37 weeks would you?
If baby is coming on its own at 36 weeks, it's very likely to have mature lungs. An induced baby at 36 weeks (who normally would have tried to come later) is more likely to have breathing issues. If I were planning a UC, I'd absolutely do a 36 week UC. My midwife also delivers at 36 weeks, thankfully. For some babies, 36 weeks *is* full term.

OP - I'd definitely talk to the other midwife about attending you if you go at 36 weeks. Doesn't hurt to ask if she's willing to do it! I'm a little surprised that your midwife won't change your due date by 4 days though. That just seems weird. LMP is such an inaccurate way to predict due date. My LMP date is 9 days earlier than my O-based date. Because of that, I went ahead with a dating u/s to have it in my records what my real due date was (since I have a history of preterm birth, and some decisions are made based on what gestation you are, and a week can matter in those decisions). My midwife goes by whatever date I give her in the beginning. So she has my O-based date. I told her to put down the wheel, and she did.
My u/s-based date is 2 days ahead of my O-based date, so if I'm 35+5 and go into labor, I'll get my midwife to change my due date so I'll be 36. I think if we stuck the u/s results in my file, that'd be enough to please the state if they ever looked at it for some odd reason.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
My midwives are really sticky, too. They have my official due date down as Oct 7...even though the ultrasound date is Oct 2...& by my dates (knowing when we lost the baby, the date we BD, the date I OVed, the date I got a
) I know I'm actually due the last week in September.
But they won't budge on the 7th.
Which means if I'm early (& I always am by at least 2 weeks) I could end up with them insisting that we have ANOTHER hospital birth. I am not willing to do that if it's past 37 weeks by my dates. As far as I'm concerned as long as I go into labour past Labor Day...I'm having this baby at home. With or without my midwives.
:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boscopup
If baby is coming on its own at 36 weeks, it's very likely to have mature lungs. An induced baby at 36 weeks (who normally would have tried to come later) is more likely to have breathing issues. If I were planning a UC, I'd absolutely do a 36 week UC. My midwife also delivers at 36 weeks, thankfully. For some babies, 36 weeks *is* full term.

OP - I'd definitely talk to the other midwife about attending you if you go at 36 weeks. Doesn't hurt to ask if she's willing to do it! I'm a little surprised that your midwife won't change your due date by 4 days though. That just seems weird. LMP is such an inaccurate way to predict due date. My LMP date is 9 days earlier than my O-based date. Because of that, I went ahead with a dating u/s to have it in my records what my real due date was (since I have a history of preterm birth, and some decisions are made based on what gestation you are, and a week can matter in those decisions). My midwife goes by whatever date I give her in the beginning. So she has my O-based date. I told her to put down the wheel, and she did.
My u/s-based date is 2 days ahead of my O-based date, so if I'm 35+5 and go into labor, I'll get my midwife to change my due date so I'll be 36. I think if we stuck the u/s results in my file, that'd be enough to please the state if they ever looked at it for some odd reason.
My 4th was 36 weeks. She was tiny (5 lb 7 oz at birth & less than 5 when we left the hospital)...but she was totally fine. No breathing problems whatsoever. But there was another 36 weeker there at the same time (who had been bigger than her) who was having major problems breathing & was in the nursery with a team of docs.
My 37 weeker had lots of breathing problems...but in her case I don't think it was just because she was 37 weeks...I think it was more a combination of the drugs (pit, antibiotics), her gestational age & the fact that she was born with neural tube defects.

So my point is...yeah 36 weeks can be "term" for some babies...and yeah...they can do just fine...but sometimes they're ready not ready & need help getting started.
:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts