Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I
black beans! Like no tomorrow! (mouth watering as I speak). There are so many good recipes for them - you can cook them with or without meat. You can make a soup or black bean hummous or serve it up Cuban style. Make nachos, a black bean sandwich, or put them cold on top of your green salad. I love to make a pot and then use leftovers all week in different ways. My daughter also loves them (15 months).

Yum yum yum yum!
Tamara

Oh yeah - I also
lentils. You can make them up with latin flair, or get some curry and make them indian flavored. Add some ginger... ah my mouth is watering AGAIN! lmao - i heart beans, no doubt.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
We eat lots of beans. Here are some things we like:

Chili (I like to use pinto, kidney and black beans)
Black bean soup
MInestrone soup
Lentil soup
Split pea soup
Squash and white bean soup
Tamale Pie
Shepherd's Pie
Dahl (made with lentils)
Hummus
Bean Dip

Well - I'll stop there. (And by the way, I have recipes for all those that I mentioned if you need them!)

Also, check out my article on the home page under foods for the family - it is about legumes this month. Here's the link: http://www.mothering.com/guest_edito...d_famlies.html

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cathe
I would love and appreciate recipies for Black baen soup, Dahl, bean dip, Lentil soup and hummus.......my mouth is watering now too........I am a dried bean virgin so I need recipies Thanks for taking the time for me

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
My goodness, 2 lbs of dried beans is considered "running low" around here!!!

I usually cook them in my crock pot and freeze the cooked beans to use as needed- except lentils and split peas, which I cook as I need.

White beans are great for a "mock cream sauce" when blended with spices and liquid- for a vegan "cream" sauce, blend nuts and water, then add white beans and spices.

Beans of any kind are great in soups or stews with lots of veggies. Add rice, barley, or pasta for a complete meal.

Sautee cooked beans (any red or pink) with onions, garlic, olive oil, and spices, and serve with tacos or over rice.

Mash up cooked beans with eggs, breadcrumbs or flour, and spices, and bake or fry for bean burgers. Cooked or canned veggies are yummy in burgers too. I usually make burgers with leftover beans after making other dishes.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Here you go. I threw in a Tortilla soup recipe too because it is one of my favorites.

Ginger-Lentil Soup
Lentils are a good source of iron and the kale or cabbage supplies vitamin C to aid absorption. Ginger and kombu make the lentils more digestible. Don't worry if you can't finish the whole pot in one meal; this soup tastes even better the second (or third) day.

1 cup lentils
1/2 cup brown rice
1 strip kombu (optional)
1 bay leaf
8 cups water
1 onion, minced (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 1/2 cups chopped kale or green cabbage
1/4 cup minced parsley
2 tablespoons ginger juice (page xxx) or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon miso

Place lentils, rice, kombu, bay leaf, and water in large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil while chopping vegetables. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and continue to simmer (covered) for 30 to 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat 5 to 10 minutes. Do not boil as this will destroy the beneficial enzymes in the miso.

Makes 8 servings

Black Bean and Corn Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
5 cups cooked black beans
2 large carrots, sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 strip kombu, broken up
Sea salt to taste
2 cups corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Heat oil in soup pot. Stir in onion. Sauté 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapenos, and cumin. Sauté 5 minutes. Stir in stock, water, beans, carrots, oregano, and kombu. Simmer covered 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Puree soup in blender or food processor. (You will have to do this in several batches.) Return to pot. Season with sea salt to taste. Stir in corn and cilantro. Heat to desired temperature.

Makes 8 servings

Note: 2 cups dried black beans will cook up to 5 cups for this recipe. See the Bean and Legume Cooking Chart in the Appendix for instructions on cooking the beans.

Tortilla Soup
This hearty, delicious soup is a favorite with my family and friends. Although the ingredient list looks long, this is really a quick soup to make if you have cooked or canned beans on hand. Since my children don't like spicy foods, I leave the Tabasco sauce out of the soup and put the bottle on the table so each person can spice his or her soup.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked pinto beans
2 cups cooked white beans
2 cups cooked black beans
4 1/2 cups water
2 cups or 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon Sea Veg Mix (page xxx) (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon miso
1 tablespoon tahini
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or to taste
Sea salt, if necessary
Tortilla chips

Optional Toppings:
Minced fresh cilantro
Sliced black olives
Shredded Jack cheese

Heat oil in large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook 10 minutes without stirring so they brown. Stir in garlic. Add beans, water, tomatoes, Sea Veg Mix, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Heat until soup starts to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 30 minutes to let flavors combine. Remove 2 cups of soup and place in blender with miso and tahini. Puree and return to soup. Add Tabasco and sea salt to taste.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Insert tortilla chips into soup around edges of bowl. Top with cilantro, olives, and/or cheese if desired.

Makes 8 servings

Note: See the Bean and Legume Cooking Chart in the Appendix for instructions on cooking your own beans, or use beans you have cooked and frozen. Canned beans are also work well here; just use one can of each type of bean. You can also use just one or two types of beans or different ones than I suggest. Just make sure they add up to about 6 cups.

Hummus
This dip is delicious with raw vegetables or pita triangles. Try it as a spread on sandwiches or bagels.

2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
1/4 cup tahini
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
Liquid from cooking beans or water
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley

Place beans, tahini, salt, garlic and lemon juice in blender or food processor. While blending, add bean water, a little at a time, until smooth, creamy texture is achieved. Stir in parsley and adjust seasonings.

Makes about 2 cups

Variation: Add 1/4 cup minced green onion or chives.

Lentil Puree (Dahl)
We love this version of Indian dahl. It's a delicious way to get lots of iron. If you want to be authentic, serve it with naan (Indian flatbread), but tortillas, lavash, and chaptis also work well.

1 cup lentils
1/2 strip kombu (optional)
3 cups water
1 tablespoon oil or ghee
1 onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Place lentils, kombu, and water in heavy-bottomed pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 45 to 60 minutes, or until lentils are tender. While lentils are cooking, heat skillet. Add oil or ghee, onion, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, and ginger. Sauté 10 minutes, or until onion is soft. Stir in tomatoes. Cook about 5 minutes. Pour cooked lentils and tomato mixture into food processor or blender and pulse to puree, leaving some texture. Serve with millet, quinoa, or brown rice, and/or flatbread.

Makes 6 servings

Easy Bean Dip
This is a great dip for tortilla chips or raw veggies. It also makes a wonderful spread for sandwiches or tortillas.

2 cups cooked pinto or black beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablepoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
Sea salt to taste

Place all ingredients in food processor or blender and puree until smooth.

Makes about 2 cups

Now here's my bean cooking chart for the beans used in the recipes above - not sure how it will transfer to here but I'll give it a try. If you email me, I can send it to you as a word attachment.

Bean (1 cup dry)Water(cups) Cooking TimeCooked Volume (cups) Soak?
Black Turtle3 1/2 1 1/2 hours 2 1/2 yes
Chickpeas (Garbanzo) 4 2 - 3 hours 3 yes
Kidney3 1 1/2 - 2 hours 2 yes
Lentil3 45 mins. 2 no
Pinto3 1 1/2 hours 2 yes
White (Great Northern, Navy)3 1 hour 2 - 2 1/2 yes

Preparation of Dried Beans and Legumes

1)Sift through beans. Pick out damaged beans, pebbles, and other debris. Rinse beans.
2)If soaking is required, place beans in large bowl or pot with at least three times their volume of water.
3)When ready to cook, pick out any floating beans and drain soak water. Place beans in pan with recommended amount of cooking water.
4)Bring uncovered beans to boil over high heat. Turn heat to lowest setting. Cover pot and simmer beans for recommended cooking time, or until beans are tender. Stir as little as possible so beans do not become mushy.
5)Do not add salt or seasonings until beans are tender. Salt, sugar, fat, and acidic foods prevent beans from softening.

Tips:
·Soak beans to neutralize phytates so minerals are better absorbed.
·Change soak water once or twice to help reduce the oligosacharides which can cause gas.
·Cook beans in cast iron or other heavy-bottomed pot to avoid scorching.
·A strip of kombu sea vegetable cooked with beans helps to tenderize beans and improve digestibility.
·Cooked beans can be frozen. Make extra and place meal-size amounts in freezer containers. (I liked to freeze in two cup size containers which as about as much as one can of beans.) Frozen beans can be added to soups, stews, casseroles, salads, or used in burritos.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
My goodness, 2 lbs of dried beans is considered "running low" around here!!!

I usually cook them in my crock pot and freeze the cooked beans to use as needed-.

:LOL so true.

and this is the easiest way to cook them and freezing them is so easy.

If you scramble some eggs and throw in some smashed beans and serve ina tortilla,

yum.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by peacefulmom
ok how did you all get so smart....do you use a certain cookbook?????? im impressed.......

If you check out the link to my article, I put some recommended cookbooks at the end that have lots of bean recipes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cathe...I just made your lentil soup and WOW it was great and easy....I made a dinner fir for November complete with pumpkin muffins...I was realizing we were spending so much money on 1 time dinners and now I am concentrating on foods that will streatch...we have PLENTY of left over lentil souip..I just added veggie stock to it to add more broth..even my 3 year old and 11 month old loved it...THANKS black bean soup is later this weekl......I bought stff for hummus too...I cant thank you enough..If you have any more meals that stretch I am all EARS...we are pretty broke..I am a sahm and DH isnt rolling in it..so any ideas are welcome...THANKS SO MUCH CATHE....YOU ROCK

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you will be eating a lot of dry beans, it might be wise to keep a packet of kombu around the house. If you are in a pinch you can throw a couple strips in with your well washed unsoaked beans and water and even kidney beans will cook in about 45mins.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
black beans, black beans, I LOVE black beans. I think they go great with anything Mexican. I've also got a couple recipes....here goes.

Black bean and ground turkey chili (and ground turkey is CHEAP, less than hamburger here.) I use my big pot that I also use for boiling spaghetti for this....

Brown turkey w/ couple tbsps. chili powder, tsp. each of cumin and sage.
Saute some onion and garlic.
Add can of tomato sauce, can of undrained tomatoes, and a lot of black beans. (I buy canned and use 2 cans, so that gives you some idea.)
Let it all cook together about 20 minutes, more doesn't hurt. You can also make rice and put it over that.......could even make it w/out the turkey, I'd leave out the sage then and just put chili powder and cumin in with the tomatoes, with rice it would be a complete protein.

The other thing I do with black beans is a recipe my friend started. Heat some olive oil in a pan. Add as many chicken breasts as you think you need for your family. Coat them in Italian dressing--I mean COAT, I use about half a bottle for 2 big chicken breasts, do one side, flip, do the other. Let them cook. When they're about done, dump on a can of tomatoes, drained.
Here's the thing I figured out last time I made this--I always make black beans and brown rice on the side, and I always end up mixing it all. I just dumped the black beans (drained, but since you're using dried that doesn't really matter) in the pan with the chicken and tomatoes and saved myself a pot. I also started cutting up the chicken because I'm *horrible* at guessing when they're done. So basically, I ended up with sort of a stir fry kind of thing with chicken, tomatoes, and black beans over rice.
The Italian dressing and the tomatoes make a yummy sauce. It's all good together....

Good luck! I need this post too, I've STILL got WIC beans and I quit getting them a couple months ago. I'm not even sure *how* you make dried beans.
:

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Don't forget www.allrecipes.com. It has a search function where you can plug in the ingredient you have ("kidney beans") and it spits out the recipes for you to look through!
Or you can search for the kind of recipe you want: "bean soup" or "bean patties".

Nobody mentioned baked beans, did they? We love baked beans here. You just need some cooked beans (thawed frozen ones work great), some chopped onion, some BBQ sauce and/or molasses, some people like mustard too, and a little water, and slow bake them ...
... make some corn bread to go with them, or sometimes we use more water so it's "saucier", add bacon or ham shreds and serve it over brown rice or baked squash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts