Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having more contractions than I think I should at this point (25 weeks!!!) Not painful, and not that strong, but sometimes there's some *mild* cramps (so mild that I wouldn't even notice if I was thoroughly distracted by something) But..I've had at least 5-6 in the last half hour and I know the rule is no more than 5 an hour!! I haven't been drinking as much as I SHOULD but I just downed a water bottle and I've had some juice throughout the day. I don't want to panic and go to the ER but sheesh, this just doesn't seem normal.. off to drink some more water...

ETA: part of me is afraid of overreacting and calling my midwife in case its just in my head and I'm not REALLY having contractions, but the firming up is me just pushing on a part of my uterus that the baby is pressing out on.. (yeah thats right, I'm afraid of being wrong and thus, looking stupid)

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I won't tell you not to call your midwife, because I think you should talk to her to set your mind at ease if nothing else. I will say that with my second and third pregnancies I had bh contractions early (16 weeks I think) and frequently and they were very noticable, so it could be nothing. I personally wouldn't worry unless they were painful, but I do think you should see your midwife if you're concerned and don't feel silly about it. . . that's why you hired her.

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I'm having more contractions than I think I should at this point (25 weeks!!!) Not painful, and not that strong, but sometimes there's some *mild* cramps (so mild that I wouldn't even notice if I was thoroughly distracted by something) But..I've had at least 5-6 in the last half hour and I know the rule is no more than 5 an hour!! I haven't been drinking as much as I SHOULD but I just downed a water bottle and I've had some juice throughout the day. I don't want to panic and go to the ER but sheesh, this just doesn't seem normal.. off to drink some more water...

ETA: part of me is afraid of overreacting and calling my midwife in case its just in my head and I'm not REALLY having contractions, but the firming up is me just pushing on a part of my uterus that the baby is pressing out on.. (yeah thats right, I'm afraid of being wrong and thus, looking stupid)

For me, having forty zillion BH contractions is evidently normal. It happens *all the time* (I'm at week 31). It happens especially if I vary my normal routine -- God forbid I be doing something I don't usually do, because then, to quote Eddie Murphy in a very different context, it gets hard if the wind blows.

That might just be what's normal for you. Irritating, but normal. You're not in labor until your cervix starts to efface and dilate -- not when your uterus contracts, if that helps you at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had lots of BH contactions in my last few weeks. I don't remember having them as early as you are, but I would say just take it easy and get plenty of fluids. Your body is just preparing itself... (hopefully) But of course, if you're uneasy, I wouldn't hesitate to call your mw. I can't tell you how many times I called mine just to make myself at ease... btw, is this your first?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm hoping I'm just like you then!! They seem to have slowed down a lot, too
(I drank about 34 oz of water) So, to focus on the positive, do ya think its true that frequent/early braxton hicks give the uterus so much practice that labors are quicker and easier?
lol.. because THAT would be nice!

ETA: yep, its my first (uh oh, does it show? lol!)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I personally would get it checked out, just to rule out PTL - THEN consider it normal BH if it's not causing any cervical changes. And PTL contractions don't always hurt at first!!! So that's not a good rule of thumb to go by.

Hopefully it's just BH, but I wouldn't want you to end up with a NICU baby because you didn't get it checked out, kwim?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
One other thing to consider which I experienced with both of my pregnancies and esp. my first is that I had a UTI. I had trouble with continuous UTIs and rounds unfortunately of antibiotics. I tried other natural remedies but the contractions always efface me early and my last pregnancy I was dilating fairly early as well.

Have her check your urine. I don't know if this is a lay midwife, CPM or CNM. If it's a CNM or in a more formal setting make sure to not pee right before you go so they have an accurate count in your urine. Whenever I drank a lot and had urinated before my office apt it showed neg. even though I *knew* I had a UTI from all of the Braxton Hicks.

Good luck.

And *yes* they do help with warming up that muscle!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They've totally stopped
yay. I kinda suspect it was dehydration since I'm horrible at drinking enough water :\ They did remind me to down a few water bottles! I see a home birth midwife.. DEM? Pee came back negative for infection just on Thursday. I think I've only had one today at all so I guess if they start up again I'll give her a call.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Keep up with that water! But I know how worried you are; I've had bouts of frequent B-H contrax throughout this pregnancy, from about 15 weeks on. And now I'm up to 36. But do mention it to your m/w just so she's aware.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
drink water and take it easy
I contract a lot, usually starting at 24 weeks. When I need to pee or I've done too much they are worse. Also, I get bladder infections when pregnant (although I do not understand what one has to do woth the other) and they cause me to contract. I'd give your mw a call and just let her know.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have tons of BH ctx too. Especially this past week or so. In fact, I'm literally having one right now
! Anyway, I find that the amount of water I have to drink to keep them at bay is enormous! I basically drink water constantly all day long.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
A good way to get enough water is to carry a sports bottle or sipper bottle with you throughout your day. That way you're not just drinking a whole 8 oz in one setting which will literally run right through you. By sipping the water is much more easily absorbed.

Glad you're doing better!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.