Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi EC mamas. I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advice/support.

I have a lovely 9.5 month old daughter. She is bright and cheerful and silly. We have been ec-ing with her since she was 3 days old. We got off to a pretty good start, but even though she was diaperless 80% of the time, we never noticed any signaling. So, it was just timing and intuition and we weren't pro's but we were getting better.

And then she started moving.

Basically, ever since she has been able to crawl (5.5 months) she has more or less been "on strike." Sure, somtimes she'll go for 6 weeks where she will go only in public restrooms or only outside or only right when she wakes up, but I would say that most of the time when I _know_ that she has to go and I offer her the chance to go, she will arch her back and/or make a sad whiney noise. She is incredibly strong willed (which I love!) and also super super physical and active (which I also love!!), so my sense is that she just hates being interrupted (although I am really interested if anyone can offer any other theories . . . ).

So, she has been wearing a diaper when we're out and peeing and pooping on the floor when we're home. At this point, she will sometimes pee/poop in the sink right when she wakes up or if we are out. If she is being held without a diaper and has to pee she will squirm, but she wants to be put on the floor to pee, not held over the sink/toilet/tub/bblp. I was pretty ok with this situation for a long time but am starting to feel a little hopeless. I really believe that EC is the best choice but a tiny part of me is starting to wonder if I am ignoring my daughter's communication that maybe she doesn't like it. Also, after a four month strike I am starting to get a little frustrated and I really hate having negative feelings over something as ultimately dumb as where poop goes.

Final pieces of information:

She has just recently started to actually eat a little solid food rather than just play with it, so her poop is starting to be a little thicker sometimes.

When we diaper, we use cloth with no cover so that I can feel she is wet and change her right away.

A tiny part of me is listening to the anti-ec idea that I might be psychologically damaging my kid. I know that this isn't true - like I said, it's a tiny part.

Sorry about the novel! Thank you if you've made it through, thank you if you can offer any advice, and finally, thank you just for being here - I've really enjoyed reading previous posts and hope to be a part of the forum in the future.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I hear ya momma! When my dd was 16 mos we moved across the country. She went on a three month potty strike! Very frustrating because she knew exactly what she was doing! But as soon as we found a place and moved in - voila! She almost imediatly ended her "strike".
I wouldn't worry about damaging her, or worrying about her hating ec. I would guess that as she can now crawl, there are so many new things to see and do. Big developmental milestones have a tendancy to affect ec in a big way! I would suggest just going with the flow and (if it's what she seems to want) stay in dipes until she doesn't get upset with potty trips anymore. Hang in there - you're doing great!
-Maria

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also have a 9.5 mo daughter who has been crawling since before 6 mo. She is by 3rd child. She would also rather move than potty. Still we catch 99% of poos, though she only goes every other day or so. Can you notice when your dd starts to poop? Sometimes my dd will sit there to push a little out, then I wipe and put her down till I see her starting to go again. She just can't sit there for the whole thing. I usually have to give her something little to play with to get her to it there at all to pee or poo. She also doen'st really signal for pee. I can only tell while she's going. So, I just try to put her on mostly at routine times like after nursing, waking, ect. Like I said I do usually have to distract her. I figure even if she isn't communicating her need to go, maybe I am at least reinforcing our communicatin by letting her know where to go.
You're not damaging her as long as you're listening to her needs in the moment. Casually keep trying. Even if you only make a catch every other day your reinforcing where to go. Nine to 12 mo is a difficult time in that they are learning to get around and explore. Hang in there. You guys will get back on track

1 - 3 of 3 Posts