Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a m/c 3 months ago, and we've been moving and very busy the last 2 months. Ds got pneumonia and started wheezing for the first time in the midst of all this. I have not been taking good care of myself at all!<br>
I just got BFP and I'm somewhat worried. Yesterday, I had to be in the room with ds while he got a chest xray, and although I was wearing the lead apron, I didn't even check if it went all around me. And I've been holding ds between my legs with his back to me (watching tv) while doing the xopenex treatments, and probably inhaling some of it! I see it's a class C drug. The last couple of days I took mega vit C and zinc lozenges (probably ok) to ward off a cold, and I either just developed a gum infection or something in my gums that I have to go take care of...Should I even get dental xrays? This is just the worst possible month, and I swear dh and I only dtd once!!!! Now, I'm worried about possible birth defects and m/c.<br>
Any advice, anyone? I don't know whether to be happy or not!<br><br>
I don't even know any ob/gyn dr's where we just moved to, either!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Hi,<br><br>
Congratulations on your new pregnancy. It certainly seems like you're having a tough time at the moment!<br><br>
Regarding the chest x-ray, I wouldn't worry about that at all. X-rays tend to be very focussed and travel in a straight line towards their target so the amount of exposure to bystanders is limited, especially if you were wearing lead. Also, a chest x-ray on a little person does not require a very high level of x-ray exposure.<br><br>
Regarding the detal x-rays, take your dentist's advice. Again the rays are focussed and they would give you lead to wear but, you tend to need a higher exposure for dental films. The small risk of exposure may be better than an inadequately treated dental infection which could cause you other problems though.<br><br>
Regarding your son's medication. Could you start using a spacer? They can be used in babies and infants pretty much from birth (with a mask attachment), provide better lung distribution of the drug, tend to be better tolerated (no noise, or "smoke"), reduce the amount of drug deposited in the mouth and won't leave you breathing in any stray vapors.<br><br>
I hope things atart to improve soon.<br><br>
Regards<br>
Kate

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I understand being concerned and I'm not in any position to give an expert opinion, since I'm not a HCP, but I think baby is probably just fine. They used to do x-rays on pregnant women pretty routinely, which doesn't make it a good idea, but I would be comfortable with the idea that it might mean your baby will probably be fine, like the majority of those babies were.<br><br>
Depending on how far along you are, your baby may have no placenta yet, which means it probably wouldn't be exposed to the drug your son is getting, even if you were.<br><br>
And the dental thing...Several months ago (before I was pg) I got some sort of weird gum thing going on while I was out of town. I'm not sure how serious yours is, but mine was a <i>lot</i> of swelling and pain with a little bleeding on the left upper side. I've never had any gum infections/mouth problems before, so it freaked me out. I brushed very, very carefully and got both Tom's of Maine mouthwash and Listerine. Then I rinsed with them about 5 times a day for a few days (I really didn't want to make an emergency dental visit while out of town) and it completely cleared up. I also rinsed with a peroxide solution maybe once a day during that time. I also took tons of vitamin C in that time. I really don't know what cleared it up or if it would have gone away on its own anyway, but I wanted to share because it totally freaked me out and whatever it was turned out to be not a big deal after all.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think dh will take over administering the xopenex treatments ... it's only for 4 more days (hopefully!). I'm just concerned about the exposure I've already had. I'm only 4 weeks along. When does the placenta form?<br>
Thanks for the idea on gargling with Listerine, etc.<br>
I'm going to call a dentist tomorrow anyway, but you're right, maybe it's nothing - I hope!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide helps tons with gum/mouth stuff. I got a piece of food stabbed into my gum line in the back where one of molars are--swelled up and was sooo painful. I don't have dental currently, but I knewof the old peroxide remedy--I rinsed my mouth with it 2x daily, and brushed very carefully around the area, and topped everything off with a normal mouth wash. In a couple days my gum was completely healed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts