Thank you for all the great ideas! I've been using all of them, except the fruit leather. I agree; I'd love the recipe if anyone has it.
I did happen to find a freezer jam recipe online that uses agar flakes (vs. gelatin) and honey (vs. sugar). I made it tonight, and we all liked it!
Here's the recipe:
1 tbs. agar flakes, 6 tbs. apple juice
4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 tbs. freshly grated lemon rind
1/3 cup barley malt, honey, or rice syrup, or to taste, 1 tsp. liquid stevia (optional)
1/8 tsp. dried ginger, powdered, 1/4 tsp. coriander, ground
1. Bring the agar and apple juice to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
2. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, or until the agar is dissolved.
3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
4. Reduce heat and simmer another 5 minutes, stirring often.
5. Test for firmness (agar's thickening effect varies according to its fineness) by putting a large metal spoon with a small amount of jam in the freezer for a couple of minutes until chilled. If the jam is the right thickness, your recipe is done. If it's too watery, stir in more agar, simmer another 5-10 minutes, and test again. If it's too thick, stir in some fruit juice or water and test again immediately.
We still have a lot of strawberries to use - we picked 29 1/2 lbs! I don't know what we were thinking......we just got carried away because we were so happy that DD was having so much fun!
Thanks again for the great ideas,