Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure it would be just like hauling a thawed out piece of rump roast around with your baby, and keeping it at room tempature for 3 days or so! Am I wrong? How do you do it? I really want to try this, but am unsure about the placenta going bad and getting stinky. How do you carry it AND the baby around? For those who have lotus birthed, on what day did the placenta separate from baby? And advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've read to make a lil wrap out ofa cloth diaper or similar and salting it helps as well. they fall off typically in 3 days or less (much faster than the stub coming off when cut) so how bad can a salted placenta get in only three days : O

I intend to salt/wrap it and keep it pressed to the baby under the diaper.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I've also read (although we were unable to do this with our last as I ripped his cord right after he was born) that it isn't the placenta that gets stinky, it's the blood.

So, if you wash the placenta really, really well and get all the blood off of it, then it won't hardly smell at all.

It makes sense to me and I've also heard about salting it, too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
We have just done this - although by the end of day 3 we gave in and cut the cord - it wasn't that is was smelly but the cord was very dry and was tugging in his belly button whenever i moved the placenta from one side to the other to nurse him. It did kinda get in the way and it stopped most visitors from coming round (which was a good thing). We kept it unwrapped on a old nappy for the first 12 hours and then salted and essential oiled it every day - i was still very bloody so i think it could have done with being drained for longer or washed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just recently spoke with a mom who did this who pointed out that if you do salt it, you will then need to try to leach the salt out if you intend to plant it at the base of a tree or other plant... the salt would be too damaging to the soil and plant. She did salt hers, but her impression was that it wasn't really necessary to prevent odors...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.