Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ky moms! Wondering if you can help me learn a bit about the Louisville area. Dh wants us to move there as thats where his family is, but there doesn't seem to be much that appeals to me as a mom. What is there to do there with children in the way of science museums, zoos, and general fun activities for children. Also what is the shopping like, and whats the area like at the waterfront like now. Last time my MIL drove me around it was a general no-go area. Also what are parks and play area's like? We never really found any, but we only go for 2/3 days at a time.
To show what I am comparing with we are half way between Baltimore and Annapolis, we have a great zoo, sciencer center with great kids exhibits and room, parks galore with great play areas, 2 great watrerfront walking areas, 3 great malls, 2 with play areas in them and one with a shop with a play area and a really great moms group. I love this area!
I really need honest opinions on what this area of Ky is like. Will it be easy to like?
Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
We moved to Louisville almost a year ago from Montgomery County, MD, and we've been very happy here. The zoo here is pretty nice, and there's also a science museum downtown-my DD is a little young for most of the stuff there, but it's great for kids who are a little bit older, and you can do a combined science museum/zoo membership, so you can go whenever you want. The Speed Art Museum here also has a "kid zone" called Art Sparks, which is great, and has a toddler area. We also go to library storytimes pretty often, they have them at many branches and for all age ranges. There's also the general Gymboree/Little Gym, etc. type of places.

There are two large malls in St. Matthews, one has a "pirate ship" play area for kids. There's also plenty of smaller, boutique type places in the Bardstown Rd or Frankfort Ave area.

There are plenty of parks around, with play equipment and fountains and walking trails. Cherokee Park and Seneca Park are a couple of the larger ones. We haven't spent a lot of time at the waterfront, but we have gone down to the waterfront park a couple times and walked around. I'm pretty sure there's a playground down there, and in the summer they have the Adventure Playground water park.

We have a fairly large AP group, as well as several LLL groups. There's an LLL/AP playgroup that meets every week.

Personally, I found it really easy to like Louisville. Housing is much more affordable, and traffic is much much better than where we moved from, and people have been very friendly. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
70 Posts
We moved here 2 years ago from Dallas. And, now we are leaving.. Here's what I like...lots of crunchy folk, the nicest people I've ever met, love the parks, close to Cincy which has some great places for kids, love my AP pediatrician and lots of older homes. What I don't like..everyone grew up here and never left so i don't feel a lot in common with them, it has a very high number of cloudy days, most people go to private schools and I'm a public school girl. I can't express how nice everyone is and i love being close to so many parks. However, the school issue is pushing us out of here. I don't know anyone sending their children to the public schools and even if the parents went there they don't want to send their kids there.

The zoo is really not that bad considering the size of the city. There are a TON of parks around here - mainly in the Cherokee/Senaca park area and St. Matthews. I like to go to the Cincinnati Zoo, Kings Island and the aquarium in Cincinnati. I think this is a great family town.

Personally, I think the housing is very overpriced.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for responding!

crunchykd said:
I don't know anyone sending their children to the public schools and even if the parents went there they don't want to send their kids there.

QUOTE]

I haven't even looked at schools there. Are they really that bad? Any idea how I find out how they compre to other schools? This part is important to me as I have a 1st and 2nd grader. Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
curnchy- who's your ped? I am having trouble finding one that I like...

I grew up in Louisville, went away to college, got married and only moved back after being gone for 10 yrs. I love it here. It is a beautiful part of the country, people really are super friendly and nice, and with the exception of a pro sports team, we have just about everything a larger city has with less traffic. My kids go to public schools and I have not had any issues, we have school choice here so you can pick any school in the district and apply. It is just first come first served not any kind of scholastic criteria. My oldest goes to a Montessori based public elemenary school, my first grader is going to a school closer to home where he is learning chinese from a native speaker. I believe our zoo has been nationally ranked, we have a children's theater, lots of great stuff.
Don't be scared of moving to the "sticks" if that is what you decide to do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I live across the river from Louisville. It is a nice place. We just went to the Indy Zoo, and honestly that made me appriciate our local zoo all the more.

I don't know much about the schools because I live in Indiana, and I homeschool.

There are lots of neat places to visit in a short distance. If something were to happen and your children need a hosptial I LOVE that we have a Children's hospital here. My daughter got very sick when she was 7 weeks old. She was admitted to ICU. There were so many parents that were in from other areas of Ky, that had to stay in hotels, at the hospital or at the Ronald McDonald house. It made me feel very glad to live here. We were able to stay with our daughter with one only leaving for my son to get to and from school (I did not homeschool yet.)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm expecting in Louisville. I highly recommend Stage One, the professional children's theatre (okay, I'm biased, DH works there and I do too, when not pg). Having taught for SO in the schools, some are better than others, just like any place.

The nice thing about L'ville is that you have a broad range of choices for where your kids can go to school. There are options ranging from the rather crunchy Brown School to the various traditional schools, and everything in between.

We moved to L'ville five years ago and really enjoy the area. It has a lot of big city amenities but with a neighborhood feel. How you feel about L'ville depends, largely I believe, on what part of town you plant yourself in. For example, we moved into the Highlands area in 2001. While we couldn't afford to buy there (we rented up until last year), we are still close to the Highlands. The groove of that neighborhood really affected our feelings toward this city. I think the further out you go, the more chain-store the city gets.

But the mayor is committed to bringing folks back downtown and really growing that area. He's also a green mayor...started an organization in city government called Brightside, which mission is to keep Louisville clean, green, and environmentally aware.

I give it a thumbs up, but it depends on what you need. For example, as much as we love it, the work for me is drying up here (I'm a professional actor), so a move is likely imminent in the next three years.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I love a lot that the city has to offer, and most of it has been mentioned above. I really want to move out of the city and onto some acreage so we can do more gardening/homesteading/critter raising, but dh and I will definitely stay in the Louisville area. The libraries rock, too!
I was really freaking out about where I was going to send DD to school (our neighborhood elementary is no good), but recently found and joined a secular homeschool group that does a lot of stuff like field trips, play groups, crafts, and there are many off shoots in the works - organic foods co-op, educational co-op, Earth Scouts group, etc. Most of the active moms in this group are very crunchy, and very friendly. I moved here in Nov. 2004 and once I found the group I was so relieved to have found some like-minded moms to make friends with.

Shannon

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Hi Shannon!

The secular homeschool group that Shannon mentioned has been my lifeline! I just started going to group activities this summer. Just knowing that this great group of people is closeby makes an incredible difference in my life.

We lived in Louisville, right across from the Zoo, when ds was born. Then we were sent into exile. We were *so* homesick! It took us three years to get back to the Louisville area - we love it here!

There are so many great parks in Louisville. The city government is in the process of buying a ring of green space around the city. I think there will be a bike path that runs through these parks.

Louisville has tons of kid friendly activities. Connecting with the homeschool community has made me even more aware of all the kid's activities here.

Here are some places we've gone or are going to:

Privately owned Apiary to learn about bees and honey
Waterfront playground
Nature Center trails (right across from the Zoo)
The Playground (huge playplace that is a bit pricey, but we spend the day)
The Zoo
The Science Center (we have a dual membership)
Bernheim Forest (private nature preserve)
Slugger Field (there is a playground and carousel)
Frazier Arms Museum
Huber's Farm

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Elizabeth!!
Just saw your cute kiddos today! And your DH is such a nice guy - I loved seeing him do cloth diapers! Gives a girl hope, ya know?

See you soon!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
i am a louisville native with no plans to leave because our city has so many amazing things going on!! we've recently experienced a great deal of growth that has resulted (after about 10 years of sprawl eastward) in a major back-to-the-city movement. people are being very pro-active in terms of coming back to the wonderful neighborhoods here inside the city limits and really creating communities of mixed income.

our waterfront is awesome. i used to work at the Louisville Science Center. they've completely renovated the entire museum over the last 10 years including the installation of a world class environmental sustainability-themed hands-on exhibit.

i'm a public school gal who plans to send the baby in my belly to our public schools (check out the brown school). i heart jefferson county public schools.

one more thing, we have AWESOME locally-owned restaurants. if you like to eat our restaurant community is fantastic - i think i heard once that we have one of the highest per capita rates of restaurants for whatever that's worth.

no, we're not portland, oregon, nyc or san fran - maybe a little more like an austin, texas or athens, ga. i like it. plus homes are cheap cheap cheap!

i promise that i don't work for the chamber of commerce or anything!! : )

·
Registered
214 Posts
Been accross the river from Louisville for over a year. (New Albany family here)

We are planning on moving back to Ohio after baby #2 so DH can finish college and grad school at OSU. So either in May/June of 2007 or the following year (DH is in line for a decent raise. If we get the raise we would like to stay another year to save up.)

Originally being from Ohio I am excited, but we LOVE this area! It's like a big playground in itself!

Things we love to do:
Walk downtown.....we don't go "clubing" at 4th Street, but we do enjoy walking down that way and stopping for ice cream. One day we are going to catch a horse/buggy ride downtown.
We love Waterfront park!
THUNDER over Louisville is an awesome once a year thing before Derby
The Zoo
Many great parks
You are pretty close to bigger attractions. Maybe within an hour drive or more.......Newport Aquarium, Marango Caves, Mammoth Caves, very nice lakes

But our favorite "spot" is Hubers in Starlight Indiana!!!! A farm/winery.....it's very family friendly! We go at least once a month to pick whatever "friut" is in season.....We can't wait for October so we can go on a hay ride, drink apple cider and pick out our "punkin"!!

Hope you enjoy the area as much as we do!

·
Registered
635 Posts
We love Huber's, too. Each year for our anniversary we go and do a wine tasting and buy a bottle to save and enjoy the next year. We even have a bottle that is supposed to be great at a ten year vintage, which we bought the weekend before we got married to enjoy on our ten year anniversary.

There are some great farmers' markets around the area, too.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for responding! We were in the area for the weekend having a quick look around. We spent the day at the St James Art fair (?). I really wish we had $175 to spare for the felted wool bag I fell in love with! I guess I will get to know the area a lot better in the new year!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts