Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've been using bumgenius 3.0 pocket diapers and stuffing with the newborn insert that comes with the diaper. Now, at 6 months, she seems to be wetting a little heavier. So I tried using the bigger insert that also comes with the diaper. She isn't big enough for it to be unsnapped all the way, so I snap it on the smallest setting.<br><br>
The problem is, when I put the diaper on, the front has this ginormous lump that sticks out. I put the thickest part in front and I guess in the process of squishing between her legs it can't remain flat and it just protrudes and looks ridiculous. Not that I mind how it looks, but it seems pretty uncomfotable and prohibitive as far as movement goes. Which is not ideal since she's just learning to be mobile and thoroughly enjoying that independence.<br><br>
I've tried double stuffing with two newborn inserts...still, crazy bulky and stiff. Reminds me of the little brother on The Christmas Story when the mom dressed him to go play in the snow and by the time she was finished he couldn't walk.<br><br>
I have 4 hemp inserts and those tend to absorb a lot more, and since I only have to use one of them, they're much less bulky and allow her to move more freely. However...I only have 4!<br><br>
We don't have the money to go buying stuff. Am I using the bigger inserts wrong? How can I make the inserts work for me without restricting my daughter's movements?

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
You're snapping the insert on the smallest setting? Or the diaper? I like putting the folded down part in the back (esp for a girl). I put it in the front for DS and I know exactly what type of bulk you're talking about.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I snap the insert on the smallest setting. The largest setting is WAY too long, like longer than the diaper. And the middle setting is just barely shorter than that long, long setting. Small seems to be the right size. I did try it on long once, but it got all bunched and shifty to one side.<br><br>
The diaper is on medium generally. Recently I've tried the larger diaper setting to see if it would help. Not really.<br><br>
I started out putting it in back but she sleeps on her tummy and now she's leaked a few times. So I decided to put the thick part in front.<br><br>
I feel like I've tried every which way I can think of!

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
My DS2's diapers are snapped to the middle setting as are our inserts... I suppose they're somewhat bulky, but not overly so. The trick, ime, is getting everything to lay flat - we stuff as soon as they're dried, and then can just put them on like a sposie... we only used the newborn insert for the first couple weeks, though I now double-stuff (normal insert & newborn) for at night, so's I don't have to get up and change him. Usually.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, with her fat little thighs, stuffing with the regular insert and the newborn insert both would never work. I can barely get everything closed when using only the regular sized insert! I have to force her to butterfly her legs in order to get the bulky stuffing back up and then all the stuffing makes it short so that it doesn't even come close to reaching her belly button.<br><br>
I'm starting to think that BG's are not for the chubby-thighed baby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts