Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I have used just about everything...flats/prefolds in fitted covers, PUL, fleece, wool, snappis, fitted dipes with covers, AIO's, true and AI2, and Pockets, fleece and PUL..I am LOVING the pockets...They are just so much easier and nicer than the others...even the true AIO's, which I had thought i would like best, since they are one-piece simple...but no, i love my pockets!
So, I now have a decent stash of lg-XL pockets, and tons of microfiber inserts...and I'm thinking ahead to baby #2.....Is there any reason NOT to get a mostly-pocket stash in small-med?? Do they not work as well on little babies for some reason i have not thought of? Don't wanna start hoarding the pockets and then find out some flaw in my plan...???.....

Jess

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Jess- I dont think theres any really good reason not to get them LOL The only thing I didnt like when DD was really tiny was taking the insert out of a huge BF explosion diaper
other than that I LOVE POCKETS !!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I started diapering dd with FB's when she was 8 months old and we used those for a year. Loved them! Lately I've been thinking about going back to just all FB's, but dh never remembers to take the inserts out before throwing them in the diaper pail (ugh). Which is why I've got a bunch of AIO's now. But I keep several FB's around too.

If I have another, I'm getting a stash of little FB's. They really are easy to use and clean. I'll just have to retrain dh on how to hold it by the top part and shake out the insert - cause that's SOOOOOOOO hard

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I don't like pocket AIOs on a newborn. I just found that those skinny chicken legs begged for leaks (and frequently delivered!) Once they chunked up a bit (for my kiddos around 2 months or so) pockets were great but for the newborn stage I prefer fitteds with a good fitting cover!

Steph

·
Registered
404 Posts
I totally agree with Steph, I had a lot of leak problems with Pockets (and even AIO's) for tiny/small babies. I didn't find Pockets/AIO's to work well on my kiddos till size Medium.
For the last 2, and planning for this next one too I plan on using fitteds/Prefolds with a trim fitting cover for size nb/sm. Then I move to Pockets and AIO's for size Med on.
I find the little legs and also the explosive bf poo to need more containment.
HTH!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
That would never work for us because dd gets all red being in PUL for more than a few changes. PUL just doesn't breathe as well as wool and fitteds/prefolds. Fuzzi Bunz are our faves too but they just don't work full-time for us. But if you don't have that issue, they would be a great complete stash for you!

Meg

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We use small Fuzzibunz, but, like pp found that when she was really tiny, they didn't work right in the legs. She was maybe 3-4 weeks before they started to fit her? So we kept her in pf's until they worked. We started with 6 FB's, and then ordered 6 more... now we have 16 pockets (FB's + 4 Snap-EZ's) and love them. Although, we still don't use FB's at night because of leaking through the legs over that length of time (we don't change in the night).

So, I wouldn't go exclusively pockets- having at least pf's as a backup is a good idea.

Julia

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I think the main reason some people don't use 100% pockets in the very beginning is cost, since you have to change a newborn every 2 seconds, and thus you need ALOT of pockets that get outgrown quickly. But if that's not a problem for you (or if you can sew and make them yourself super cheap), I say go for it.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffykenwell
I don't like pocket AIOs on a newborn. I just found that those skinny chicken legs begged for leaks (and frequently delivered!) Once they chunked up a bit (for my kiddos around 2 months or so) pockets were great but for the newborn stage I prefer fitteds with a good fitting cover!

Steph
Ditto, although I prefer prefolds to fitteds at this age just because I felt that fitteds were too binding against newborn skin.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
The only reason I wouldn't go all pockets is because of the breathability issue. Dd always needed a break after a few hours in pockets otherwise she'd start getting pink.

Ok, there's another reason....I'd get bored
I like having and using different things - keeps it interesting for me and as an added bonus it drives dh crazy because he can never figure out what I'm talking about

·
Registered
326 Posts
I love pockets and have been using pockets on both kids most of the time. But when DD was tiny baby, I didn't use pockets exclusively because she needs to be changed very often. I end up washing too many diapers each day. So I use fitted/prefolds during the day and pockets for nap/night.

As soon as DD moved to size medium (around 4 mo old), we use pockets exclusively.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffykenwell

Steph
:

Or even a infant pf with a good fitting cover.

Holly

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Something else to keep into consideration... many times I've heard moms saying a S FB was outgrown, but the M fit all wonky until a month or two later. The same style won't fit every babe, or even the same babe through every body shape.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think that sounds like a great plan! LOL!
Seriously, though, when thinking about future children, you might want to take into account that you don't know yet if they will have allergies to certain fibers (fleece, PUL), so I wouldn't go toooo crazy on buying small ones yet!
I own and designed Ella's Diapers, and I know this isn't true for everyone and every baby is different, but my little one wore the original ones that I designed when she was about 2 mos. on, and she was pretty skinny. It just depends on the design/elastic of the legs. We had Fuzzi Bunz, too, and she never leaked out of them even w/ her skinny legs.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
They work great for some babies and toddlers! Mine started to wet more heavily (saved it all up and flooded) and that led to leaks. I could have probably stuffed it more but that kinda defeats the purpose of them being trim. The other problem was that she often had loose stools. There simply was not enough barrier around the legs to prevent more runny poos from flowing right out. I have gone back to diapers with a separate cover just to have that double protection. I have not had a single leak since, even when dd2 had diarrhea last week with a tummy bug.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I love pockets and that is all I use. I have used them since my ds was 2 weeks (FBs) and we are still using those and the fleece pockets I have made. I can't even imagine using PFs and wool on a newborn. I had only 12 pockets and washed once a day (every 18 hours or so) and it worked out great. They are affordable and easy to clean and use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.